Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump


my dh's work might be going under soon. he's worked there for about 4 years, quit for about 6 months and now he's working there again. he has been working there for about 4+ months. how long does he have to work there to be able to claim unemployment if it goes under? We live in Texas.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 2:06 PM on Jan. 20, 2011 in Money & Work

Answers (6)
  • I would think he can claim it as soon as he is unemployed. I didn't think you had to work somewhere a certain about of time before you claim unemployment.

    Answer by Snewo at 2:08 PM on Jan. 20, 2011


    This site might have the answer to your question.


    Answer by Snewo at 2:11 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

  • In my state, they look back at all the employers you have had in the past year. The amount of money you get is based on how much you made in that calander year.

    Although, if he's already claimed unemployment anytime in the past 12 months, he isn't eligable.

    Answer by HotMama330 at 2:11 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

  • Don't you have to work at a place 18 straight months?
    Anyways, you should be able to find it. Google Texas Unemployment.

    Answer by Chloesmom1126 at 2:12 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

  • I believe here in IL you have to have been employed at least 12 months. Check your state UE website.

    Answer by KairisMama at 2:33 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

  • I think it varies from state to state. I thought the minimum average was 6 months. But since he worked there before for a longer stint, maybe that will be sufficient? You will have to call your local unemployment offices. It can't hurt to just call and ask! :o)

    Answer by LoriKeet at 6:26 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.