How Disrespectful Can Some People Be in this Nation?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YarwGun9yzA

PALM SPRINGS, California, November 10, 2008 - Video footage from KPSP CBS 2 Palm Spring News shows Proposition 8 protesters surrounding an elderly woman and the reporter trying to interview her, shouting and blocking the camera's view of the woman, ultimately forcing the camera crew to flee from the encircling crowd.

Does anyone else think this is taking it too far?

Protest for what you believe, but not at the risk of HURTING someone?

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 4:48 PM on Nov. 13, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Both the woman and the protesters had every right to be there because we have freedom of speech. However I must wander why she decided to walk into the crowd. Yes it is her right, but common sense has to prevail. Where was the police? I don't know about the laws in CA, but in NY every time there is a rally there is a big police presence. Also they did not hurt her just knocked the crossed out of her hand and scream. That is not right by any means, but when I read the posts here i though they had beaten her. And Last I don't think any one protesting is just throwing a tantrum, they are fighting for their right to marry who they love. I don't know if anyone here has being descriminated against, but is very hard to stand by and do nothing when your rights are being taken away.

ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 7:34 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Why is this sort of crime tolerated? We wouldn't tolerate this from ANY OTHER GROUP. Why is it okay for gay people? This is nothing more than a super tantrum much like the ones toddlers throw when they don't get their way. What a shame that they are representing their cause with this type of behavior.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 4:54 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYrpVw17H34

OMG, I learned something from The View... ::gasp, anything is possible I guess::

(please remember I am NOT from California)

~Churches (even who don't agree with gay marriage) could have lost their Tax Exempt Status, if they refused to marry. How is THAT seperation of Church and State???

I believe in civil union for ALL.  It's not for me, but who am I to force my belief.  But who would be allowed to force the church to marry?  I am starting to understnad a little more why the churches got involved...

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 4:59 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• What's next? A slap fight? Seriously...I agree with the first poster. If you have a belief then by all means pursue it, but when your beliefs push, threaten or possibly harm others then you've gone too far.
    Anonymous

• It's not right to hurt anyone for a protest.

BUT, people should use their common sense. Don't go into an angry crowd of protesters with your signs and words of dissagreement!  HELLO.... what did she think would happen?!

sammygrl77

Answer by sammygrl77 at 5:24 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Lesbian Moms Attacked As Son Watches

"Through this whole devastating ordeal our child was watching in horror. So were the children of this so called "man." So were the children of the school, and their parents and probably some spectators from the homes across the street. Our other two children came out and were just as horrified as the rest," Currie wrote on a Facebook page.

click link above to read in full

indigostone

Answer by indigostone at 5:24 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• was she hurt? I mean the old lady? did they hurt her?
    Anonymous

• OMG the sterotypes are flying again. You dont think that OTHER GROUPS would get away with this. In ALL protests there are stupid rude ppl not just this one. It only takes a couple of idiots to make an ENTIRE group look bad. So do us all a favor and dont label or judge.

I hope the lady is ok but if I were her I would have avoided the area. If you know protests are going on common sense says dont go there.
    Anonymous

LOL...typical answer to this issue....have you seen the protests in California and the signs that were placed all over the Mormon Temple in LA....hateful signs....The only ones stereotyping themselves are the idiots at these protests that are shouting profanities and insults, taking personal property of a cross from an older lady and stomping on it...I hope she filed some charges on those thugs! As for labeling and judging a few people who make it so bad for all the others....I have a suggestion.....have leaders of the gay and lesbian alliance speak out against this behavior and condemn it!....Silence speaks volumes!
    Anonymous

• sammygrl77 :I understand. However, every protest is allowed to have both sides represented. Keep it civil, and no one gets hurt... What does violence prove? That you are stronger? Big deal, so they can beat up an 80- year old woman. It surly doesn't prove they are smarter~
    Not to mention this was outside of HER CHURCH. Doesn't she have a right to stand up for HER church?
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 6:46 PM on Nov. 13, 2008