How long should an "almost" 4-year-old nap?

Daycare insists on having this age group nap for 2 hours -- which makes it a nightmare at home to get her to go to sleep at night -- which makes her crabby in the mornings -- which leads to a bad day at "school." Am I over-reacting or is this simply TOO LONG TO NAP?

BaileysMom476

Asked by BaileysMom476 at 2:14 PM on Jan. 20, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• we stopped DDs nap because she gets unruly at night time to put to sleep. If by accicdent she falls asleep we let her have a cat nap of no longer then half hour
    ArystaBrat

Answer by ArystaBrat at 4:17 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I know at DD's daycare, at nap time they don't have to sleep, but they must rest quietly on their cots. If she is falling asleep for the whole time, I would assume that she is tired and needs the rest. Maybe try pushing back bedtime a little to help with the nap
    NHGal

Answer by NHGal at 2:19 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• that might be the time slot for their nap - but that doesn't mean each child will sleep that long. if the child naps for 2 hours, they needed it. they don't make the children sleep - but they do have to lay quietly and rest. which is good for them, i think.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 2:15 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• funny, my 4.5 year old still naps at school and at home on the weekends. guess a lot of children's sleep patterns differ. what time are you trying to put her to bed at night? mine is in bed by 8 on school nights, and usually out by 9. weekends in bed by 9, out by 10. she gets up at 7am on school mornings with no difficulty.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 2:19 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I would try a different daycare. On the off chance my 4 year old does nap, and he hasn't in a long time, I will only let him sleep for an hour.
    heatherann0221

Answer by heatherann0221 at 4:04 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• When my son was 3 he didn't take ANY naps!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 2:15 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Yes, they should not nap anymore. I'm surprised he falls asleep!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:15 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Yes, she doesn't on weekends and the days go much smoother!
    Thanks!
    BaileysMom476

Comment by BaileysMom476 (original poster) at 2:16 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Well the only reason she falls asleep is because she is so tired from keeping me up the night before (because she had a 2-hour-nap at daycare) -- UGH Its a vicious circle!
    BaileysMom476

Comment by BaileysMom476 (original poster) at 2:17 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I had the same problem. I was fortunate enough to have a daycare in my high school but the teacher in the daycare and I didn't get along at all and this was probably one of our biggest issues besides potty training. She would force her to lay down when I wasn't even letting her nap at all at home. So I completely understand what you're going through.
    iluvmm09

Answer by iluvmm09 at 2:18 PM on Jan. 20, 2011