Help for Hives

Other than Bendaryl does anyone have any tried and true home helps? I've had them all over for days now and I don't want to go to the doc, because it's 100% out of pocket... but I might have to just give in. They're getting worse!

I've been battling these for years, but I don't think they're usually this bad.

AAAMama

Asked by AAAMama at 2:16 PM on Jan. 20, 2011 in Health

• You can take twice the recommended over the counter dosage of Benedryl. This is what they had me do when I reacted to penicillin. You need to try to track down what it is you are allergic to. You might still be exposing yourself, which could be why the hives aren't going away.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 2:19 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Taking a very cool shower and using products such as Aveeno nothing is going to make them go away hundredpercent because even with treatment the receptor will still break out. It is most about keeping your self calm and comfortable with oatmeal baths use lukewarm to cool water to not make the histamine flame up.

karing4elmas

Answer by karing4elmas at 4:20 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Don't take more than the recommended does of anything unless your doctor tells you too. That is just plain dangerous. Try vinegar. Soak a washcloth in vinegar and dap on the hives. You will stink but it takes the itching out of it. Calamine lotion also works well.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:18 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I already take 100mg of Benadryl per doctor orders. I'm allergic to chemicals used to treat foods during growth. And stress are my triggers. SO, I know where it's coming from - I just need relief before I have to cut off my feet or ears or whatever lol

I've never heard the vinegar thing - I'll have to try it in a few hours when they start moving again. I know that sounds odd but that's how my severe cases work... I've never been normal - I guess now isn't the time to start, right? lol
    AAAMama

Comment by AAAMama (original poster) at 6:16 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Oatmeal baths. I would buy regular oatmeal and crush it up in my Bullet (like a blender) and sprinkled it in my bath.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:49 PM on Jan. 20, 2011