How do you de-stress/calm your anxiety?

How do you destress? I've got something to do tonight and I am super anxious. My stomach is turning and my heart is about to beat out of my chest. The variables that are stressing me out are completely beyond my own control but there is a lot hinging on the way things happen to go so I am really wound up. I know I need to calm down but I can't figure how.

ashleyaction

Asked by ashleyaction at 2:17 PM on Jan. 20, 2011 in Relationships

• I take a nice long bath.
    darter

Answer by darter at 2:18 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• In order to unwind and calm down I usually:

Meditate
    Run on the treadmill or go out for a jog
    Yoga

I also try my best to remember. There is no point in me worrying or stressing about things that are beyond my control. Stressing about them will not suddenly make me the one in control. Stressing about them will not make the situation easier (usually worse). Stressing will not help me to cope with what is going on either (it usually makes it harder to do so). I have felt this way for getting close to 30 years now, understanding and accepting this, has made the stresses in my life non issues for the most part. I still get stressed every now and then, but as soon as I put it into perspective.. the stress starts just vanishing.

Whatever is hinging on those variables will hinge on them no matter how much you stress. Stressing will not change the situation. Relaxing, will help more in regards to handling a situation. Good luck.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:26 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Nice long bath. Exercise. Reading. GL!
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 2:27 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• a nice long bath
    firelites

Answer by firelites at 2:33 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• meditate/pray, music,.....
    kingkongsmom

Answer by kingkongsmom at 3:01 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Pray, read a book
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 3:02 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Go for a jog and clear my head.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 3:15 PM on Jan. 20, 2011