Perception of overweight people...

I wonder why TV always protrays the "fat" girl that never has a date until she looses weight. That upsets me b/c there are girls all over that believe that they have to be skinny to have a social life. I was always the fat girl and I never had a shortage of dates.

What do you think about the perception of overweight girls never getting dates....

(I am watching "I Used to be Fat on MTV"

Bubbie0809

Asked by Bubbie0809 at 2:45 PM on Jan. 20, 2011 in Entertainment

• It irks me, too. I find it sad and completely unrealistic. I didn't date much before getting married, not because I was "fat" but because I'm not a very social person. I never had a shortage of guys looking, though, when I was in college (I went to an all-girl high school so I really didn't know any guys then). My husband fell in love with me and married me when I was fat and since then I've gained another 50lbs and he loves me just as much now and thinks I'm just as sexy as when I was 50lbs lighter (and still about 50lbs overweight then).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:57 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Have you watched CBS's Mike and Molly???
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:51 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• It's all about self esteem. If you don't feel good about yourself being overweight then of course you're not going to get many dates.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 3:48 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• It's Hollywood. They only want Beautiful people to look like they can only succeed.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 2:46 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Hollywood doesn't portray real life very well in any aspect. It is very sad, though, since so many girls have body issues to begin with.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:48 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I watched that last night too, actually made me a litte sad. I will admit, im a big girl, and need to loose weight to be in the right weight zone, so i guess u could say im over weight, but i know i'm beautiful, and i love me for me, if noone can accept that, then MOVE ON!!! im not lazy and i dont over eat, just eat the wrong stuff. I have a great social life, but i think if i did loose weight i would get more guys to notice me......but after i think about that, i want them to notice me for my mind, personality, and all that stuff not for what i look like...
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 2:56 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I think overweight is portrayed as bad because it is bad. Doctors describe being obese, or overweight as like a disease you need to fight. Should being overweight be glorified to make overweight people feel better? IMO NO. We need to know that has human beings we have an expirations date and carrying pounds and pounds of excess fat is just making that expiration date sooner and sooner. So IMO thats why fat is never looked upon as great and often the characters who are fat don't have a great appearance, like, audience perspective. And just for luvmygrlz info, thats why you are overweight, because you are not eating but once or twice a day. Your body goes into starvation mode and thus stores fat, as if you were actually starving, which you are, so you end up with pounds and pounds of excess fat that needs to be burned off, and the only way you can burn it off is if you don't starve yourself and you work out.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 2:59 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I completely acknowledge that being overweight is bad, but it shouldn't make you feel bad about who you are. But I also think people come in all shapes and sizes and being over weight does not mean you are not attractive to anyone. I never had a problem with friends, boyfriends or anything like that. I think that overweight young people need to know it is not the most horrible thing to be, and there is no reason to cry over it.
    Bubbie0809

Comment by Bubbie0809 (original poster) at 3:03 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• for me it depends on the person that is overweight. Some people are just flat lazy and it shows. Others are productive people, just have a struggle with hit. I can understand that but it's the ones that don't even try I have a hard time with.
    strawberryLVR

Answer by strawberryLVR at 3:05 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I got chunky as a teen......then I got a bit bigger, nearing just over 200( size 20-22 ) I had MORE dates and boyfriends a bit heavier than I did when I got thinner at 150 and was a size 12!

Ive been the same weight for months now, I walk, exercise and my thyroid has not changed much and Im still on meds. It made me gain weight and trust me...its not fun losing baby weight and then my thyroid goes bonkers and Im up to 260 where I was when I was 9 mo preggo! Not fun at all. And now going thru menopause!

MANY people just don't care and are not active. I am active, watch what I eat yet still have not lost much weight. I have a curved spine and horrible arthritis in my hips and kness and I push thru the pain where most days my body wants to lock up on me. Some gain weight due to medical reasons and medication.

Hopefully we all get it under control, but I am far from being ' lazy ' as most people perceive.
    LilyPondOasis

Answer by LilyPondOasis at 6:37 PM on Jan. 20, 2011