are animal hoarders as bad as breeders?

i was watching animal hoarders on animal planet and this lady just kept letting her cats have more cats. she had something like 84 cats (she's no hoarder according to herself) and they intend on going and letting them breed. then this other guy had like 45 dogs most feral. while watching this i thought man they are like breeders cause they are adding to population. of course cat lady intends on keeping all hers and this guy had someone take his. sure their not in it for the money but they in their on way are still adding to the huge problem of animal population. if you want more pets rescue them which most hoarders do. i think there is no end to this problem. yes this hoarders are sick people.

melody77

Asked by melody77 at 2:52 PM on Jan. 20, 2011 in Pets

• how are breeders bad? The breeders I know, and others by association, do a great job and don't excessively breed, to where there are too many for their land.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 2:55 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Honestly, I think they are worse. Breeders will at least move the animals on to better homes, hoarders just want to keep getting more.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:56 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• well i would agree with that but if you haven't seen most cafe members think breeders are awful especially byb which by all accounts is like most of them.
    melody77

Comment by melody77 (original poster) at 2:57 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• most breeders torture their animals to get the ideal breed. rottweilers have their tails cut off at birth because thats "the look" that ppl want. certain cats and dogs such as Persians and pugs are bred to have flatter noses which cause severe respiratory problems just because its "the look". the runts of certain breeds are bred to make them even smaller which the runt usually doesn't survive from because it's already weak. yes imo breeders are evil
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 2:59 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I think if you are gonna hoard them you are not right in the head anyway. Maybe they are too sick to see that those animals need fixed.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 3:00 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Animal hoarders are the worse IMO. Show me a hoarder who doesn't live in complete filth with little to no money to take care of their pets and I might be swayed to not think so harshly of them.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 3:10 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• btw i am in no way saying hoarders are better. they are sick ppl who need help, but breeders are evil so i don't think one is worse than the other
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 3:14 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I think most breeders and hoarders on about on par. Neither one is good for the animals. Remember, with hoarding though it's not someone who has a ton of cats, or a ton of dogs, or horses, or whatever, it is someone who doesn't, or can't, take care of the ton of animals they have. You can have 100 cats, and as long as you can keep them clean, fed, etc, it's not technically hoarding. That said, it's pretty hard to have that many animals and take care of them..both financially, with grooming, feeding, cleaning, and medically with spay/neuter, tests, vaccines, etc. I'll stick to my two cat limit, and my one dog limit...I think I'm breaking the limit on kids though at two..haha!

Animal breeding is something I understand, but I'll never support it, nor do it myself. Breeders just tend to make too many, sell off the ones they can, and then what happens to the rest? They wind up at animal shelters, or drowned in a river somewhere.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 3:16 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Breeders are just as bad as hoarders
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 3:44 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• when you say breeders, I'm thinking puppy mills, and in that case breeders are worse. Neither are good.... at all.... but, at least hoarders *think* they love they animals and have good intentions, while puppy mills are just disgusting, for profit, heartless jerks.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 9:49 PM on Jan. 20, 2011