What do you do when you are being tailgated in the checkout line?

You know that person whose shopping cart is brushing agains your heels while you wait in line? The last time I went grocery shopping this woman behind me was so close I literally couldn't turn my body sideways. After asking her to please back up, I went around my cart to unload it onto the belt. When I came back around to push my cart through (I never just pull it through when I have my baby with me, I don't want strangers to be that close to him unless I'm right next to him ) the woman had pushed her cart so it was pressing against mine. After asking her to back up AGAIN, I stepped between our carts and pushed though. While I was paying, she actually HIT me with her cart to let me know I was in her way. I said a loud "OUCH! Do you mind not running me over?!" She ignored me. After I was done paying and collecting my change, I attempted to put it in my wallet, but was hit AGAIN by the other woman's cart. By then, I was absolutely seething. I am pregnant, and even though I'm not far along, I am showing and she knew I was pregnant. Should I have called for security and had her arrested for assault? I had a blue bruise on my hip when I got home from her first hit, and another on my ankle from her second. I don't mean she let her cart roll into me, she deliberately NAILED me with it. I just walked away, but if I had been further along in my pregnancy ( The baby is still protected inside my pelvis ) and she would have hit my belly, I would have had her arrested. Am I overreacting?

Robbiesmommy83

Asked by Robbiesmommy83 at 3:26 PM on Jan. 20, 2011 in General Parenting

• I say exactly what you said and most of the time they back off some of the time they just roll their eyes and ignore me.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:27 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I tell people to give me my personal space. I hate when strangers (or their carts) invade my comfort zone.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 3:31 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• i would flip out... i cant stand people like that... i sometimes tend to over react and my husband gets embarrassed but there is no need for stuff like that it drives me crazy
    knm51504

Answer by knm51504 at 3:33 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I would have "accidently" hit her really hard with my biggy from the grocery holding side of the cart.
    usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 3:33 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• No! u r not over reacting!! I hate when people get rude and pushy!!! Don't take any crap the next time!!! I would call the police and file a complaint against the store.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 3:35 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• i usually have one child in the seat and the other in the basket. so when someone is hitting me they are also hitting my dd. i will usually turn around and say excuse me but do u mind not hitting me. if that doesnt work i push there cart back towards them, and if it doesnt help then i say to the casiher is there sercurty
    knagsmom

Answer by knagsmom at 3:35 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I would have called security....that was so rude of her....i know at times i get a little close because someone is trying to get through(if there is a long line) but then i will back up again....or the cart will go forward and i wont notice but when i do i back up.....i dont like people in my space like you....so i wont push myself into someone elses space......Depending on how long ago that happened you might still be able to report what happened....they have security videos.
    Anonymous

• If you want to file an assult complaint now then you can....i think you have up to about 5 weeks....you could make the complaint take pics of the injury (bruise) and they will look into it more. That could be a serious charge considering you are pregnant and it could have resulted in loss of pregnancy. I would have called security over. Next time i think you should....im glad you tried to stand up for yourself though =)
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 3:52 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• She neeeds smacked that is so rude when someone does that i move even slower and hope they will say something.
    peace013

Answer by peace013 at 4:05 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• This hasn't happened to me but no you are not over-reacting to being deliberately hit. If anything, under-reacting. You have the right to be in a grocery store without being assaulted. Especially if you have children with you. I can't believe the nerve of that person. If this ever happens to you again, have the cashier call security immediately and don't feel bad about it for one second!
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 4:24 PM on Jan. 20, 2011