Are you able to help your kids with math homework?!

For the very first time I am able to help my 14 yr old with his Algebra!! And that's only because I am currently taking it in community college! Otherwise the math completely stumps me.

Orionsgirl

Asked by Orionsgirl at 3:29 PM on Jan. 20, 2011 in

• We homeschool so not only do I help them with their homework I teach them. Geometry was a killer for me, I would go over it and re-learn it before I would teach it.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 3:31 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• No but my son helps me with mine lol
    peace013

Answer by peace013 at 3:31 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• lol@peace! That's cool.

@scoutmom. I hated geometry. I didn't understand it until almost the end of the year.
    Orionsgirl

Comment by Orionsgirl (original poster) at 3:32 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Yes. Math is, and has always been, my thing.
    Anonymous

• Sure, but when it comes to stuff like Calculus, daddy is going to have to help them because I'm the English/Science nerd, not the Math nerd =P
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 3:33 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Im not at that point yet with my kids. But when I was in high school taking calculus I couldnt help my little brother with elementary school math, they had 5 different ways to teach long addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. I only learned one way to do each.
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 3:33 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• All math looks like Greek to me :-)
    HappyGirl44

Answer by HappyGirl44 at 3:33 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Well, my kids are all 5th grade and under, so yes. But even when they get older, I am certified to teach math in 9-12 so it shouldn't be too much of a problem at least until they get calculus.

Answer by missanc at 3:42 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I'm in school to be a teacher, so I think, the tools that I lack now to teach elementary math skills, I will continue to gain. Beyond that, I would not think twice about hiring a tutor to help my child. I got As and Bs in math, occasional C here and there. But it never came naturally to me and I never had a full, clear understanding. I don't think I should teach her from a place of ignorance. I believe in alternative schooling, so once I have my degree I hope to find a good situation to put my skills to use, a sudbury school or founding a homeschooling co-op. In all cases, I would encourage parents that have something to offer to offer it to all students. So, that's my plan, lol, tap into other resources.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 4:28 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• No,but he will be helping me with mine this semester because I am a math dummy.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:00 PM on Jan. 20, 2011