Does anybody have an idea for what to do about the neighbor downstairs?

He is an old, old man who smokes like a chimney and has cancer. I have felt very badly for him, even though he is a crotchety old bugger who won't even talk to anyone else. Last night we were watching TV and one of our cats started to play very noisily, running between the kitchen floor and the living room floor. Our neighbor slammed on his ceiling so loud it scared the heck out of me. I thought the house was falling down. We rent our place from the person who used to live here, and he owns his unit below ours. He bought the unit knowing he would always have neighbors above him who could have kids or animals that make noise. I can't decide if I feel sorry for him for being stuck in a building he hates ( he could have bought a trailer for less than he paid and lived his life in the solitude he obviously wants ) or just to dislike him for not even saying anything to us, but hating us because we live over him and have a baby that cries and cats that play.... Is he just an old grouch or are we supposed to whisper and tiptoe? Keep in mind that we are very quiet people, and whoever built this place didn't insulate it hardly at all and we can hear everything he does downstairs, too, but it doesn't bother us because we are here on a tempoary basis and are just very tolerant people.

Robbiesmommy83

Asked by Robbiesmommy83 at 3:52 PM on Jan. 20, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I'd let it go. Your there temporarily, and no matter how you approach the subject with him he'll get defensive. He sounds like my FIL, I can't image living in the same building as him.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 3:55 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I would not change my life to make him happy, he chose to live somewhere with upstairs neighbors and he's just being rude.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 3:57 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Actually, he could have chosen not to rent to pet owners.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:15 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Kill him with kindness! It's the right thing to do, this makes me sad, thinking of how lonely and sad he probably is, especially if he acts like this. Sucks for you guys but at least you have each other and a bright future.
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 5:41 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I have a mean temper....I would have just stomped my foot right back at him
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 6:00 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I personally WILL NOT live above other people, I have kids, so I think it is disrespectful to put others up to "putting up" with us... however, if he knew kids/pets lived above him... either get used to it or move? When I am that old.... I think I'd be in seniors only living!!! We have a nice apartment complex not far from us now, found out it was nice ebcause no young people or kid mess it up... hahaha
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 6:01 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I would not whisper or tip toe. But I would not be noisy either. I would try to egnore him.

Answer by louise2 at 6:01 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• So I have this issue but with a woman, too bad we can't introduce them ;-) We are just very polite to her and luckily her daughter moved in so we haven't had complaints for awhile. We try to keep the boys jumping around to a minimum but where I live I have the legal right to make "noise" from 6am-10pm so I try not to worry too much. Just be as kind as you can!! Sometimes an upstairs apartment is all there is.
    mslksdh

Answer by mslksdh at 2:55 AM on Jan. 21, 2011