Should I be worried

I took my 2 month old son to get a round of shots today (4) in his legs...I have a 4 year old so its not my first rodeo... I gave him infant motrin a half hour before the shots, and again an hour ago... but I dont remember my first being in this much pain...his legs look fine, and no temp. Am I getting scared for nothing?

MaMa2_DJ_IJ

Asked by MaMa2_DJ_IJ at 4:58 PM on Nov. 13, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I wouldn't be scared but, when my son got his shots i gave him motrin and I thought the nurse was going to kill me when I told her! So you might want to check with your doc just to make sure they said usually they want you to wait until to little one is at least 6 months. He said that it can be very damaging to there kidneys
    Anonymous

• I was told to give tylenol not motrin. My pedi said it's bc they have different levels of pain reducer and that tylenol works better with shots.
    DessaG20

Answer by DessaG20 at 5:08 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• A vaccination - even a single one - is a huge stress on a baby's body. And he had 4 at once. Do everything you can to help him stay relaxed, warm, wholesome foods, lots of water and fresh fruit for vit. C. Lots of sleep or lying in your lap so he doesn't use a lot of energy. The injection is not merely the vaccination, it includes preservatives for storing the liquid (which are not friendly when injected right into our bloodstream). And it also includes an irritating substance like aluminum, deliberately aimed at creating an allergic reaction so that the body notices the vaccine germs which have been injected and focusses an emergency response - hopefully creating immunity to the germs injected. (Although they know that this is not certain, and that's why they give the same shot again and again - calling them "booster" shots. If vaccinations reliably conferred immunity then no booster shot would be called for.)
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 5:14 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I asked the pharmacist when I went to get my baby some medicine for the shots and she said infant tylenol is way better than motrin for babies.
    sweetvietchic

Answer by sweetvietchic at 5:24 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• IF HIS LEG LOOK FINE I WOULD USE A COOL COMPRESS, AND ALCOHOL THEN MASSAGE THE LEG IT SHOULD FEEL BETTER IN A DAY OR 2.IN ADDITION MOTRIN IS GIVEN EVERY EIGHT HOURS PLEASE DON,T GIVE BABIES PAIN MEDS BEFORE GOING TO THE DR. BECAUSE EVERY CHILD IS DIFFERENT SOME KIDS DON'T HAVE PAIN AFTER SHOTS AND JUST LIKE ANTIBIOTICS YOU COULD BUILD A RESISTANCE TO THE MEDS AND IT WONT WORK AS GOOD AS IT SHOULD I THINK HE'LL BE FINE BUT IF HIS STILL VERY,VERY SORE I WOULD TAKE HIM IN.BETTER SAFE THAN SORRY
    yaz21206

Answer by yaz21206 at 5:26 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• My pedi nurse said that infant motrin is only labled for children over 2 I think it might be a year....but I had already given him the motrin before she told us she said as long as it was a few doses and didn't continue with it it would be ok...so we use children's tylenol now...
    Anonymous