Is there such a thing as an easy dinner recipe?

I am a single mom and don't leave work until 6:30 pm. It is nearly impossible for me to get dinner for my kids before 7:30 and my little one needs to be in bed by 8 at the latest. HELP!

parajumper3

Asked by parajumper3 at 4:13 PM on Jan. 20, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Make meals on the weekend and freeze.
    Sloppy Joe's, spaghetti sauce, boil the noodles and put in the refrigerator, make homemade soups, chicken and rice casserole, pot roast and veggies.
    If you precook meals it will make your life so much easier and the kids will get a good meal.
    I have lots more ideas if you are interested.
    Librarylady60

Answer by Librarylady60 at 5:29 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• cooking big meals on your day off and freezing leftovers in single serve portions is a good idea as well.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:17 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• throw something in the crockpot before you go to work, so that its ready when you get home..my sister in law does this all the time b/c she's prego and works full time doesn't get home til 5 and has a 1 1/2 year old running around..look on google or something for some good crockpot recipes..good luck!
    Ambie0526

Answer by Ambie0526 at 4:15 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• sure there are :) if you have a crockpot, you can get so much good use out of it. throw your ingredients in it in the morning before you leave for work and set it on low. it will be ready to eat when you come home.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:16 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I leave at 6am, is that too long for food to be in a crock pot?
    parajumper3

Comment by parajumper3 (original poster) at 4:16 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Yes! 1st of all, if you don't have a crockpot, get one. You can throw a roast (pork or beef) into the crockpot with some beef broth or apple juice (or beer) some minced garlic from a jar, and if you want to (but not necessary) a sliced onion. Let it cook all day, & you have french dip sandwiches. Or, use bbq sauce instead & you have bbq pork or beef sandwiches, when you get home. Plus of course you can put veggies in with the roast, and have a roast dinner. I also like to put boneless skinless chicken breasts in the crockpot with a can of cream of mushroom and if you want, a packet of lipton onion soup mix, and serve it with baked potatoes, or mashed potatoes or just some frozen potatoes.

Add a bagged salad, or frozen veggie to any of those.

Tuna casserole. Just boil noodles, add a can of cream of mushroom soup (or 2 if you make a large bag of noodles) a bag of frozen peas, and a can or 2 of drained tuna.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 4:20 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Tuna casserole. Just boil noodles, add a can of cream of mushroom soup (or 2 if you make a large bag of noodles) a bag of frozen peas, and a can or 2 of drained tuna. Mix in the pot you made the noodles in heat and serve, or if you have time, mix put it in a glass casserole dish, sprinkle with some shredded cheese, and bread crumbs, and bake at 350 for about 30 min.

Grilled Tuna Sandwiches....basically a grilled cheese with sliced tomato ( or leave that out) and spread with tuna I mix mine with a little mayo and a little Worcestershire. Serve with veggie sticks or fresh fruit.

ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 4:23 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Have a chicken/get you a can of cream of mushroom soup and some rice .You can fix it all up the night before ,and store it in refridge until you come home put it in the oven and about 45 min to 1 hour you got dinner.And while its cooking you have time to do everything else.
    grismelda

Answer by grismelda at 4:29 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• We just got a quesedilla maker and I love it! You can make all kinds of things..we make pizza quesedillas, or peanut butter and honey ones. I agree with cooking a few meal on your day off too. I brown all ground beef when I buy it. then I just have to nuke it and season it for tacos or spaghetti. crockpots work well for roasts or veggie soup if you will be gone all day.

Here is one of our favorite easy recipes...buy frozen ravioli (cheese or meat is fine) it takes 4 mins to boil, in another pan you mix 1 jar of good alfredo sauce (like bertolis~ I dont buy ragu kind...stick with good 4 cheese) and 1 jar of spaghetti sauce-cheepo kind is fine. Heat on low until mixed- looks like a fancy resturant sauce. I put ravioli in a bowl, top with sauce and sprinkle dried basil on it. It looks so fancy and its sooo easy!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:45 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Go to RecipeLion.com or Myrecipes.com.
    dkvhensley

Answer by dkvhensley at 4:48 PM on Jan. 20, 2011