Can you add water to breast milk to extend it???

I pump my breast milk so that on school night my husband can feed the baby but all I can ever get out is about 3 oz. but the baby always wants to drink 4 oz. can I add 1 oz. of water

lazo060109

Asked by lazo060109 at 4:28 PM on Jan. 20, 2011 in General Parenting

• That would dilute the nutrients I think. I wouldn't do that.
    nicjon

Answer by nicjon at 4:29 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• no. If your baby is wanting to take 4 oz then that means they need those extra Cutting breast milk with water could cause your baby to loose weight. If you need a little more you may need to consider supplementing with formula just for that one oz. IN the mean time make sure you are pumping after feedings when you are home to get a 'supply' stocked.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:29 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Supplement with formula if your baby needs it. Don't dilute your breast milk.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 4:29 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• If you do add water to it, you will be keeping your breasts from doing what they do best naturally. They produce whatever the baby needs. If the baby wants more, he sucks more, causing the breast to produce more. If you can't pump more often to get your milk production up, you just have to feed more often.
    Robbiesmommy83

Answer by Robbiesmommy83 at 4:30 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I agree with the rest of the gals..Supplement with formula
    Ambie0526

Answer by Ambie0526 at 4:32 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• 100% not! Either pump more and freeze it or supplement!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 4:35 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• okay I have tried supplementing with formula but he wont take it...he takes like two sips and starts screaming and crying, and is it true that in order to give them formula you have to ween them into it. He is 3 weeks old and has nothing but breast milk since day one giving him the oz of formula isnt goin to mess up his stomach???
    lazo060109

Comment by lazo060109 (original poster) at 4:38 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Speaking from experience, I would offer a sip of water rather than formula. ONE feeding minus an oz is not going to cause weight loss. If you did that for every feeding, it would be different. There is no reason to introduce formula.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:39 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• yea thats it i do not bottle feed him daily he gets one bottle twice a week...I do school online and we have live classes monday nights and thursday nights they are hosted through web came so I cant breast feed while they are going on plus I like to give my undivided attention...and I am afraid to introduce formula because every time I hear a mom doing that they give up on breast feeding all together because it is easier
    lazo060109

Comment by lazo060109 (original poster) at 4:45 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I did both for a log time because I had to . My stock in my freezer ran out and I was not a efficient pumper (some women aren't) If you are determined to breast feed formula every once in a while as a must do is not going to effect you. When you are home you offer the breast every time. As for not liking the taste of formula mix the one ounce with you breast milk bottle that will help with flavor.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:49 PM on Jan. 20, 2011