Why is my 6 month old waking up every couple hours? He used to sleep 12 hours at a time!

My son is 6 months old and has recently started waking up every couple hours at night. From the time he was 2 weeks old, he was sleeping 12 hours at a time and I would even have to wake him up in the morning! But ever since Christmas time, he keeps waking up. The doctor says I shouldn't feed him when he wakes up, because he's supposed to be sleeping through the night at his age. It breaks my heart to let him cry, but I am flat out exhausted. Lack of sleep is causing this momma to be crazy! He's lucky he's so damn cute :] :]

any advice?

ucancallmemommy

Asked by ucancallmemommy at 4:38 PM on Jan. 20, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• please don't take offense, but your doctor is a quack.

6 month olds do not have to be sleeping thru the night yet. some do, some don't. he is likely waking up because of hunger due to a growth spurt or something knocked him off his schedule. my second dd slept thru the night until she was about 5 or 6 months, then began waking up at night out of the blue. i had to get up twice in the night to feed her. the phase only lasted a couple of months. and before her first birthday she was sleeping thru the night again. this is very normal.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:43 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• My advice is to feed him if you think he is hungry- don't get too caught up in supposed to and should be, just trust your gut. If he eats and goes back to sleep then I think you found your solution. He may be in the middle of a growth spurt and get back on track in a week or two. Or he may have just changed his pattern which will happen a lot in the next several months, usually right about the time you get used to one pattern he'll want a new one- lol. Following his lead will be easier on both of you. I was actually just talking to a coworker who said her baby slept thru the night until five months and then started waking. A lot of kids don't sleep thru the night until a year so you might have gotten lucky at first but that is no guarantee that it will last. In my expreience I tended to do what worked to get my DD back to sleep and figured that was good enough- within reason, I didn't drive her around the block at 3 am. :)
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:46 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• could be a growth spurt.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:43 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• growth spurt, teething, separation anxiety... all possibilities. Co-sleep. That's my best suggestion and the only way I survived either of my kids infancy and toddlerhood.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 5:10 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Feed him, hon. There is NO age in which they are supposed to sleep through the noight... but there is a clinical definition... just five hours. He's hitting a growth spurt and needs to be fed often.

A growing infant body is like a powerful car revving down the highway at 100 mph. Burns a lot of fuel, right? But this vehicle has a teeny-tiny gas tank... so it needs refilling constantly.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with baby... it's nbcommon for tm to NOT change sleep schedules and I would neverxpect 12 hours a night to be maintained. Doc, however... is a quack. Feed the baby! It's NEVER wrong to do so.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:55 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• He is probably getting ready for a growth spurt or major developmental change. You need to find a new doctor; the one you currently see is an idiot. Co-sleeping saved me; it was so easy for me to doze/sleep while my daughter snacked.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:29 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• is it possible he's not waking because he's hungry but because his teeth are hurting? he's probebly doing some really good teethng right now that could wake him then once awake he may realize hes a little hungry. Maybe you could ask the doc if there is anyway to sooth toothache pain and see if he sleeps longer. my son was doing this also and we just gave him a little bit of tylenol and he slept through the night again.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 4:56 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• All of my boys did not sleep through the night until they were close to a yr old. I have 4 of them and my 8month old still gets up a coulple of times a night to nurse. Sometimes i wait to see if he falls back to sleep on his own, but if he cries or fusses for more than 10min i comfort him. As a developmentalist, i agree somewhat that babies need to learn to self-soothe, but i also think that babies are all individuals and should not be all treated the same. Maybe he is getting into a new pattern that will only be temporary. Remember, it is only a season and it will pass. Soon you will be getting more rest again. I have not slept well in about 6yrs. LOL
    team21

Answer by team21 at 5:03 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• He's hungry hon and I agree with TMN your Dr needs to rethink this advice.
    zbee

Answer by zbee at 5:05 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Growth spert or teething.
    I give my kids bottles when they wake up in the middle of the night. And they go right back to sleep. It's not every night they wake up either, so it hasn't proven to be a crutch for them.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:41 PM on Jan. 20, 2011