Steve Cohen (D-TN): Is his statement demonzing rheotoric or acceptable civility?

In an extraordinary outburst on the House floor, Rep. Steve Cohen (D-TN) invoked the Holocaust to attack Republicans on health care and compared rhetoric on the issue to the work of infamous Nazi propagandist Joseph Goebbels.

They say it’s a government takeover of health care, a big lie just like Goebbels,” Cohen said. “You say it enough, you repeat the lie, you repeat the lie, and eventually, people believe it. Like blood libel. That’s the same kind of thing. And Congressman Cohen didn’t stop there.

“The Germans said enough about the Jews and people believed it–believed it and you have the Holocaust. We heard on this floor, government takeover of health care. Politifact said the biggest lie of 2010 was a government takeover of health care because there is no government takeover,” Cohen said.

~~~

What do you think?

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 4:56 PM on Jan. 20, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I'm just trying to get a baseline from which to measure the call out for "civility".... Thanks! ;o)
    grlygrlz2

Comment by grlygrlz2 (original poster) at 5:03 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I saw this. The words. They just escape me. *sigh*

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:06 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• It will be interesting how Dem leaders respond about this. I can't wait for the excuses to start rolling out. I guess we cheered Grayson's departure a little too early. Looks like someone wants to take his place as jester.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:13 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• While I personally think that the GOP is lying or misleading the public about many healthcare issues, I think our political leaders--on both sides--need to stop comparing people on the other side to Nazis.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 5:23 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

THIS^

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 5:43 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I don't think anyone should use the Holocaust as a comparison. Thankfully it was to an almost empty chamber.

He did make a statement of apology. I've accepted it and I'm not Jewish or Christian. Forgiveness is a beautiful thing.

“I would certainly never do anything to diminish the horror of the Nazi Holocaust as I revere and respect the history of my people,” he said. “I regret that anyone in the Jewish community, my Republican colleagues or anyone else was offended by the portrayal of my comments. My comments were not directed toward any group or people but at the false message and, specifically, the method by which it has been delivered.”

parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 5:43 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Forgiveness is a beautiful thing.

So, speak first... Set the TONE, then beg for forgiveness.... Got it...

IMO~ Freedom of Speech allows us to weed out the ignorant and the assholes for who they really are.  I hope his district heard him and remembers his words come election time.

grlygrlz2

Comment by grlygrlz2 (original poster) at 5:58 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• So, speak first... Set the TONE, then beg for forgiveness.... Got it...

***
    Don't forget, and dismiss it by sweeping it under the rug immediately!

I love how libs rush to dismiss the "faux pas" by Dems, but can't lash out enough when a Repub makes a "misstep!"
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:40 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I wonder how many times he had to repeat "it's not a lie" to himself, before he could make his little "drama" speech?

And If "they" say the Tea Party folks are violent and racist, enough times, I wonder what will we have?
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 9:37 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• He shouldn't have said it. Calling the "other side" Nazi's is unproductive and just adds fuel to the fire.

He recognized his error.

He's apologized.

The. End.

DEpley

Answer by DEpley at 10:49 PM on Jan. 20, 2011