Son wants to be a cheerleader! What do you all think?

Well DS is 5 and next weekend he was going to try out for basketball, then they passed out the cheerleading flyers to his class, and he came home and told me he would prefer to be a cheerleader (as long as he doesn't have to wear a skirt, lol). Anyway, I called to register him, and the lady was a bit shocked, but said he could, now the problem,,,, I have a meeting the day of the tryouts, and my husband is embarassed to sit there all day with a bunch of mothers and little girls! I think if he wants to do it (he loves to dance) hubby can take it,, There is no way that I can go,, new job, and the meeting is 100% mandatory, he wants me to try and talk our kiddo out of it,, I say he can suck it up and support him! I would love your thoughts!

kimigogo

Asked by kimigogo at 4:58 PM on Jan. 20, 2011 in General Parenting

• way to go

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:59 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Hubby needs to suck it up. This is about what your SON wants to do -- not what "wouldn't" embarass his father!
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 5:01 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Agree! Tell him to suck it up and support him. If your little boy is brave enough to do what he wants to do no matter what anyone thinks, frankly he's more of a man than your husband.
    SabrinaBean

Answer by SabrinaBean at 5:01 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• My son loves cheer leading. He is seven. The local JR college Cheerleaders are his heroes and we go to most sports games just so he can cheer with them and he has been invited to do so right from the field. The best teams are coed and startig this young would give a leg up on stiff competition. Tell dad to suck it up. This is not an embarrassing thing. If it goes far enough, cheer leading can lead to college scholarships and lots of trophies even.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 6:57 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• i agree with you. if thats what he really wants then dh needs to support him. just make sure ds knows he has to stick with it
    MrsDuff

Answer by MrsDuff at 5:01 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I agree with you. He's a 5 year old boy, if he loves to dance, then that's what he should be encouraged to do. Good luck!
    Marianne140

Answer by Marianne140 at 5:01 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• nothing wrong with that! there are highschool age boys on the cheerleading team. one of my good friends from high school was a cheerleader when he was younger up through middle school. in HS be was a varsity football player, he's very built and strong, and is now in the army with a wife and 2 kids. he is the manliest man i know lol! good for your son, hope he enjoys it! :)
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 5:01 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Male cheerleader ahve to be really strong men. It might be wierd now, but hubby will get used to it. It is a sport now.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 5:02 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I agree with you! Hubby should suck it up and take him.. It's amazing what our kids do for a period of time, and then once they do it, they're over it... I think he should be able to explore it.. You never know he might be a really good gymnast!!
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 5:02 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Sounds like fun! I say if that is what he wants to do. Let him. Hubby is just upset or embarressed because cheerleading is normally known as a girl thing- though there are boys that participate as well-specially in state compititions. Let him try out and good luck to him. Girls can play sports and boys can be cheerleaders. Blessings
    MamaWolf1981

Answer by MamaWolf1981 at 5:11 PM on Jan. 20, 2011