Whats more important in a pre-k teacher -- personality or focus on curriculum?

I am considering pre-k options for my daughter who starts school next year (When did pre-k become required by the state??) --- At one school, there are 2 pre-k teachers to choose from -- and yes, we get to choose-- one has a GREAT personality; but focuses little on curriculum and the other is the lead teacher, VERY focused on curriculum and a little "bland" on the personality side of things. Which would you choose and why?

BaileysMom476

Asked by BaileysMom476 at 5:00 PM on Jan. 20, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Personality, absolutely! It's important that she feels loved and cared about. Of course it would be great to get a blend of both but that's not the case. Your choice is one or the other. Preschool isn't as much about the cirriculum as it is the social skills that she'll develop. With a teacher that is warm, you'll more likely to get one that will work on kindness and developing appropriate social skills. Learning is happening even when they are playing with the toys and just interacting. If you have any concerns about cirriculum, you can find lots of fun ways to teach her things that she'll need in kindergarten. But a child with social skills will develop the confidence and belief in themselves as well as have stronger social relationships. With those components your child will really succeed in many ways. I'm a behavioral specialist and work in preschools and have seen a lot! Give her the gift of loving school!
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 8:57 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Personality! You want them to start off loving school.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 5:01 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• have you visited both classrooms a couple of times and spoke with each teacher? I would draw my conclusions then. I taught pre-K for many years, and on one hand, i needed some of the kids to feel comfotable, safe, and open up to my in order to teach them. On the other hand, i needed to academics for some students more to thrive. It really takes both, but it sounds like you may be selling the teachers short and not giving them a chance in either direction.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 5:05 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• This isn't that easy because curriculum is important to set them up for success in K. I'd pick the bubbly teacher if you can plan to spend time doing the extra work at home with letters, numbers and writing their name, calendar, colors, etcs.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 5:05 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• A child learns better when they are not afraid. There has to be a balance.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 5:39 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• You need a mix of both. I taught preK before homeschooling my own kids. A teacher can have a great personality, but not teach your child a thing (I worked with one of those).
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 5:47 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Have you observed the curriculum teacher with your child. I had that with my son's preschool teacher where we used to live. She was not that friendly and seemed bothered by me when I talked to her. When she is with the kids she is totally different, she comes alive and makes learning fun. So I say give her a chance.
    sandbuster

Answer by sandbuster at 6:57 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• You need to understand what's required for kindergarten in your district. For example, in our school the focus is on basics and foundation building. When my 2 were in K, many came in knowing their letters, numbers, etc. Many did not. The curriculum in K *was* focused on learning those things. The field leveled by year end for most. 1st grade is when they start on reading, addition, subtraction and the like. For me, preschool is MUCH more about learning how to function in a school setting. Its establishing habits, independence, social skills, etc. For our needs, I preferred a teacher with a great personality that connected with the kids through interactive experiential learning. If you're in a district with high academic exceptions for K, it may be more important to already go in knowing pre-reading, math, etc skills. On the other hand, don't assume a lack of traditional curriculum means a lack of learn (cont)
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:24 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I kind of agree -- but I also want her to have a firm grasp on the basics -- ya know? Hmmm
    Thanks for your opinion!
    BaileysMom476

Comment by BaileysMom476 (original poster) at 5:03 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• personality, it is about sitting still and listening
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 5:04 PM on Jan. 20, 2011