Why are some people so negative when you are trying to do something postive?

I have decided to go back to school. I didn't tell anyone until it was finalized. My hubby and mom are so excited(beenout of school for 9yrs). I called my one of sisters and she just got me in the dumps right now. That girl is so negative its pathetic. She don't think no one should succeed in our family. I am so pissed I feel like screaming. She basically is trying to talk me out of it. Do you know anyone like that.

nicjon

Asked by nicjon at 5:03 PM on Jan. 20, 2011 in Relationships

• Yea I know several people like that. And there are several pessamists in the family too. DOn't listen to them, just ignore them and smile. Its awesome that your going back to school. Good luck!
    MamaWolf1981

Answer by MamaWolf1981 at 5:06 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Those who truly care, are happy for you. Those who are jealous try to point of the negative side of what you're doing.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 5:07 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• maybe she's jealous you have a goal?
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 5:08 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• yes, my own dad is one. just the other day he made it his duty to tell me my husband and i will never "do good" in life (as in have great jobs that pay well, a nice house, he even told me ill never keep a job if i do get a good one cause one of my 3 kids will get sick and ill get fired) but despite his pessimistic ways, i still love him and i think i understand his intentions. yea, it made me feel like shit. but it also really made me want to prove him wrong. my dad was one of those dads that wouldn't accept a B when i was in school. had to make A's or i wasn't smart enough. just ignore it, that's awesome that you're going back to school.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 5:09 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• yeah i know plenty of ppl like that but they r just jealous that u want to make something of urself and further ur education!
    knm51504

Answer by knm51504 at 5:10 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Yes I do, and they are just jealous. I had a friend who always saw the negative side of everything, and I had to end the relationship. Life is to short to surround yourself with negative people.
    voni681

Answer by voni681 at 5:27 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• There are alot of pssive agressive people out there who are not happy unless they are making people miserable and they probably have some kind of emptiness in their livesso they make you unhappy.
    Whatever happened to if you dont have somthing nice to say dont say it at all?
    21lisa72

Answer by 21lisa72 at 5:31 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Yes, I know people like that. When they aren't outright negative, they are so nonplussed over everything that I have given up telling them about plans and goals. I announce when I've completed something, then move on, because I know that not even the final accomplishment will get them that enthused.

I'm training for a 5K right now and changing my diet. I haven't told ANYONE in my family about the 5K yet. I probably won't until race day or after it's over.

At least then, I can pretend that their lack of support right now is because of ignorance, not envy or disinterest.

Don't let the Negative Nellies get you down, Momma! Going back to school is a HUGE step. YOU GO!
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 5:40 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• She is def envious of you! dont let her bring you down. Keep going forward and reap the rewards for you and your children. You are doing the right thing and it takes alot of guts to go back to school after that long. I admire you and your strength.
    simonsmama2022

Answer by simonsmama2022 at 5:44 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Congrats! That is so awesome! You are amazing, I admire any mom who goes back to school. Never let your sister bring you down. I had a sister that was toxic to me like that and I just had to stop talking to her period. I asked her so many times to blah blah blah in the end I decided, you don't treat me like a friend would, so although you're my sister you're not my friend. I love her and don't want to judge her, I just can't be around it. At least your mom and hubby are cool:)
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 5:53 PM on Jan. 20, 2011