Are there lessons to still be learned by the Holocaust?

I just finished watching a documentary called Auschwitz: Inside the Nazi State. I am a firm believer that if we don't learn from the past, we are "doomed to repeat it." However, one of their "experts" stated that we should stop teaching about the Holocaust as there is nothing to learn from 2.2 million dead. He said "The dead can't teach." And he felt that we were simply fascinated by the macabre rather than learning anything useful.

Now, my children are not old enough to understand yet, but I am looking forward to when they are old enough to learn about and understand not only the Holocaust but other similar (yet much lesser scale) times in history. It's very important for me to show my children exactly what hate leads to as the perfect example of why we need to strive for love...

But what do you all think? Should we stop teaching this? Is there anything which can be learned from this or not?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 5:14 PM on Jan. 20, 2011 in

• Of course, we can learn never to do it again. I have visited many of the concentration camps when I was in my teenage years and they taught me deep respect for human life.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 5:16 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I think that guy is a jackass and negligent and careless. Of course we can learn from it and will continue to do so so we DON'T repeat our passed, what a fool....
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 5:17 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• NO they should not stop teaching, I loooooved learning about the holocaust, it's one of my favorite times in history to learn about. I def. want my kids to learn about it as well. And in fact, the dead CAN teach, just because a voice cannot be heard doesnt mean a storycannot be told.
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 5:17 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I think I agree with your opinion 100%. I believe it should be taught for the exact reason you stated. It's funny.. that saying was written on the wall in my high school. It's the only thing I can remember about that school right now. I love and firmly believe in that saying! I think that the expert is thinking like a lot of other people out there who thinks that we need to hide the true ugliness of what human hatred can result in. I don't believe in that. I never believe in sugar coating anything.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 5:19 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• We can learn many lessons from the Holocaust. If we stop teaching about the Holocaust, should we also stop teaching about slavery, all the wars of the past, and the civil rights movement?
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 5:19 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• i would question his qualifiications that make him an "expert". No, we must still teach it. I still enjoy reading books and accounts from not only survivors, but those who helped them. It makes me feel better about the human spirit. It teaches so much about kindness, doing the right thing, standing up for beliefs and others, fighting for humanity, and not following power blindly. I'm not Jewish either, but i feel it's a VERY important part of my german history as well. I'd like to think that maybe my ancestors were the kind of poeple that helped others?
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 5:22 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Of course there is still things to be learned from not only the Holocust but all of the past. We need to teach our kids that it is ok to be different. Different doesn't mean bad or wrong or anything negative. Until there is peace in this world, we will always be able to learn from the past.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:24 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Wow, what an idiot. Yes, of course there are lessons to be learned. It's part of history that does not need to be repeated.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 5:30 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Every part of history is crucial for the development of future generations. They learn about why things happened in the past. Also, I would rather them learn it in school under an unbiased opinion then to just hear random stuff on the streets about it :)
    CayShek

Answer by CayShek at 9:51 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Actually 13,000,000 were murdered. And of course there are lessons to be learned

Answer by rkoloms at 9:55 PM on Jan. 20, 2011