Toddlers and Tiara's- Pagents and little ones

Has anyone watched that show? What do you think about it? Would you ever put your child in a pagent? Have you? What do you think about the way these children (on the tv show) are allowed to treat their parents? Would you ever allow it?
I am apalled that any parent would allow thier child to treat them like the children on that show treat thier parents. That would NOT be allowed in my family and there would be consquences. I am sickened at how the parents dress up their children to look like grown ups (make up, fake teeth, hair extentions, and some of the clothes they let them wear!)! Dress up is one thing, that is something completly different. I would never put my child in a pagent. It is more the parents wishes and projecting on their child(ren) then the child wanting it.
Thoughts?

MamaWolf1981

Asked by MamaWolf1981 at 5:23 PM on Jan. 20, 2011 in General Parenting

• I love watching the show but hate what the mothers do to the children. I think they shouldn't be exploited in that manner and often it's the mother living vicariously.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 5:24 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I HATE HATE HATE this show. Talk about exploiting children.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:27 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• i have watched this show and i think it is disturbing. I cant beileve the way the mothers act. And i would never put my child in one. your faulnting ur child off in skimpy outfits and swimsuits how do u know there are not child molsters and pedifiles there watching.. And i cant beileve they give them flippers (fake teeth) and spray tan them what that saying to ur lil impressional girl ? that u have to be fake and "perfect' to be pretty and for attention
    Cherriemama831

Answer by Cherriemama831 at 5:27 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I would put my child in a pagent if she wanted to, but I would not do all that teeth, hair, and make up stuff. I guess we would lose. I would not let my daughter talk to me like that. I can't figure out why they let them talk and act like that.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 5:29 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Hi I am the mom that has the little boy who wants to be a cheerleader, I wouldn't put my kiddo in a pagent untill they were old enough to ask me to do it, anything else, I think the parent is doing it for themselves--gosh I need to make sure my son never sees that show,,, he might want to,, LOL!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 5:32 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I think beauty pageant should be discontinued. I don't see what positive skills or life lessons you can glean from them. Want to learn poise and presence? Singing, instruments or dance. Confidence and teamwork? Sports. I don't see any value in pageants whatsoever. Please point out any if you think of some though. It's beyond me why a parent would want their child to participate in them, other than sheer vanity.
    SabrinaBean

Answer by SabrinaBean at 5:32 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I have actually put my son in a baby pageant but it was nothing like the ones you see on this show. Makeup and frilly dresses on the girls was not allowed. They judged the children on other things besides beauty. It was a fundraiser for a childrens charity. He had fun being the center of attention when he was on stage. He got his trophy and that was the end of it.
    The way the parents on this show treat their kids is appalling! I have seen one mom actually treat her daughter like a child. Her daughter WANTED to compete and if she didn't win, no biggie. The lady who waxed her 5 year olds eyebrows needs to be brought back to earth.
    nmmama09

Answer by nmmama09 at 5:33 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• nmmama09 I like that idea of a pagent (that you entered your son in). THAT is the kind of pagent that I think should be allowed (the only type that should be). Where the kids are judged on them and not the fakeness (i know not a real word). Where it is more about the fun and playing dress up NOT where everything is fake. Wish there was more of those and less of the ones like the toddlers and tiaras.
    MamaWolf1981

Comment by MamaWolf1981 (original poster) at 5:43 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Well, former child beauty queen here. I will say I HATE that show, it really does show the extreams of the pagent world, but saddly enough parents act like that for it to be the norm. When I was in the pagents, they were nothing like that. Maybe becuase my mom was sane. I got to dress up sure and get my hair done, but make-up lmao no way that was gonna happen. The pagents I was in were simple like big show and tells. Kind of like what the pooster above but her son into. There were alot of other girls who did the whole make up and stuff....but...well i won, not them. I quite doing them because the other kids were so horrid, them my ma passed and well no more fun for me.
    LadyMorrgian

Answer by LadyMorrgian at 5:49 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• That show makes me sick!
    YaneLove

Answer by YaneLove at 5:51 PM on Jan. 20, 2011