Kids and cell phones

How young is too young for a kid to have his or her own cell phone?
My kids don't have cell phone, and wont be getting one anytime soon.
Some of my friends kids have cell phones and they say that they are getting in trouble for having the phones at school- texting and calling. I don't think cells should be allowed at school.
I see kids all the time that have cell phones and they all look very young.

MamaWolf1981

Asked by MamaWolf1981 at 5:35 PM on Jan. 20, 2011 in General Parenting

• MY child will have to be 15-16 and actually going somewhere to *need* a phone. My child will never be anywhere unsupervised with out access to a phone so I see no reason to pay for one for him.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:37 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• for my comfort level right now, i say 12+ for a cell phone. But i really don't know as i'm not there yet!?
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 5:37 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Im thinking my kids will get one at 16... althought my MIL son (9) all of his friends have them so she is buying him one as well. I think its crazy young!
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 5:38 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Well, I think when I finally let my kid go some where with out me, I will consider it. So teens at least.

BUT:

I am considering getting on of the "KID" phones like the www.firefly when he is 6 or so. let them call mom and dad and emergancy numbers ect. Just for safety sake, we had a number of pedos move into our apartments recently.
    LadyMorrgian

Answer by LadyMorrgian at 5:43 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

I agree 100%. I feel that if youre child is somewhere that they need a cell to contact you then they just shouldnt be there. I think 15-16 is a little more app but driving is when it becomse necessary!
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 5:43 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• My older kids are 11 & 12. They share one. I give it to them when they have an after school activity or if they are going out riding their bikes. DD will take it when she spends the night at a friends. They aren't attached to it 24/7 and it lives on my kitchen counter, unlike most of their friends who are graduating from texting phone to smart phones.

Personally, I never thought I would get any cell phone for either one until they were much older. Then they were riding their bikes to school and DD crashed. She was really scraped up but fine. I would have liked to know before the principal called, as they were closer to home (and a police station, where they patched her up) than school.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 6:14 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• it depends on the activitys of the child
    my sister is 9 but she is a girlscout and goes selling all the time but my brother sits at home and he is 14 so he doesnt have one so i think its situational
    nofi1389

Answer by nofi1389 at 6:21 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• When they are old enough to have a job to buy it I'm sure :)
    VintageWife

Answer by VintageWife at 8:02 PM on Jan. 20, 2011