How do i get my 1yr old to stop biting and hitting?

I love my son but does this biting and hitting thing for no reason and he seems to find it funny but i try to tell him no and when he gets mad he slaps me in the face what do i do to stop this from getting any worse than what it is right now?

stewie_mommaboy

Asked by stewie_mommaboy at 5:11 PM on Nov. 13, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You can't. ALL kids go through a biting phase. All you can do is watch for "triggers" or "signs" that he's fixing to bite, and try to remove him from everyone and distract him. I know it's hard to deal with but he will out-grow it eventually. Disciplining him for it is pointless. Good luck!
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 5:14 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I always, when catching my dh, would take her own body part, (whatever she bit on the other) and made her bite herself. Let her know that it hurts and it's not okay. I believe she did it for a week longer and then never bit again

GOOD LUCK

DISCIPLINING IS NOT POINTLESS, if you stick to it.....KEY PHRASE
    racingmomma

Answer by racingmomma at 5:16 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• i bit DD back, not too hard but enough that she got the piont, she could leave bruses when she wanted to. also, if she hits me i pop her hand,
    Anonymous

• My son is 10 1/2 months old and had a problem with biting. I just firmly would tell him no when ever he bit and with in 1 week he stopped. A lot of it has to do with teething.
    olliekisses

Answer by olliekisses at 5:46 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• If you can distract him before the bite that's great. If not, and he's biting out of anger/frustration, try this time out technique (stopped one of my twins from biting). Tell him "no biting" then hold him in your lap facing away from you for a minute then repeat "no biting" give him a kiss and move on. Now if he's biting out of excitement (sometimes they get this way and just don't know what to do) tell him: "no biting, if you get excited, give mommy a squeeze".
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 7:31 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Discipline but kind discipline. Stay calm, which is so hard, and tell him firmly, we do not bite/hit. Biting hurts. Give him a time out and when the time out is over tell him why he was there and reinforce that we do not hit or bite. When my daughter hits me, I am a little more firm when I speak and I tell her she does not ever hit me, ever, it is never ok. I also like to have her apologize but only after her time out and we talk. It has really worked with Maddi. It won't happen over night. It's also important to give him language. I don't know where he is at but giving him a way to communicate, sign or appropriate language, wherever he is developmentally. I say to Maddi, "I think you feel angry that so and so took your ball. We don't hit. Try saying, "I really want my ball back, please." or " That makes me really angry please give me my ball."The biting will get worse if you get angry all the time. Good luck.
    maddismama

Answer by maddismama at 9:41 PM on Nov. 13, 2008