Do you have a trick for slicing onions and not crying?

I tried the thing where you put a chunk of bread in your mouth and hold it there. It works!

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 5:58 PM on Jan. 20, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Swim goggles. Looks goofy, but it works. barring that, sharp knife or a food processor, cold onions and work fast.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 6:01 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• my husband is my trick, lol. the emotionless bastard never cries. (kidding!!!) I've tried running cold water while you do it and also freezing the onion 1st. The only foolproof trick is a very sharp knife.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:03 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• putting a spoon in your mouth while chopping it works!
    nicjon

Answer by nicjon at 6:02 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Swim goggles if you have a ton to do. If you're just doing a few, don't cut into the bottom. Leave about the bottom 1" of it untouched - that's where the worst of it is concentrated. Even when you peel it - peel back, but leave what doesn't tear off attached at the bottom instead of pulling them completely off.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:38 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I dont like onions so I very rarely use them, but I have hear soaking them in cold water for 10 minutes or putting them in the freezer for 5 minutes is supposed to help.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 6:00 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• i have heard that placeing a slice of bread next to it or a lemon works its supposed to suck up the fumes or something im not sure
    aschwarz06

Answer by aschwarz06 at 6:03 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• chewing gum or a scented candle also neutralizes the fumes from the onion
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 6:03 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• My two tricks are cold onions (I store them in the fridge) and a sharp knife (so your not 'crushing' the onion as you slice and releasing more juices) - I remember Jamie Oliver once saying he used to wear goggles, but I can't see myself standing in my kitchen with a pair of goggles on...
    MsAzzy

Answer by MsAzzy at 6:06 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• boil water and use cold onions ... the steam helps
    nofi1389

Answer by nofi1389 at 6:06 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I do not have that problem. But I heard if you do not cut off the root of the onion.

Answer by louise2 at 6:06 PM on Jan. 20, 2011