what does this mean?

i visited a church and people were "talking tongues" does this mean different languages?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:55 PM on Jan. 20, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• yes the spirital language
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 6:56 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I've heard that phrase when ever people talk in their native language
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 6:56 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• The gift of tongues was used to people could preach in foreign languages without having to know that language. There is no need for it anymore, and that gift is dead. Many people mistakenly believe that it is an angelic language and that they're slain in the spirit when they speak in tongues. If I were you, I'd steer clear of a church that claims they speak in tongues. But that's just me.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 7:03 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I agree with Corbysmom. It is true what she says. The only reason people do it these days is because they think it makes them seem more godly. Not being mean just honest. It happens
    1911

Answer by 1911 at 7:12 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• The gift of tongues was used to people could preach in foreign languages without having to know that language. There is no need for it anymore, and that gift is dead.

This, except that I believe there is a need for it and it is not dead.  Also I think that for some people, they believe that speaking in tongues is what a person does when it sounds like crazy  jibberish.  My belief is that is speaking in another laguage that makes sense in that particular language.

Anonymous

• http://www.gotquestions.org/gift-of-tongues.html

Mark 16

17And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;

The Word of God doesn't say that this gift is dead.  Speaking in tongues is one of the gifts of the Holy Spirt.

the_kimmers

Answer by the_kimmers at 7:24 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Speaking in tongues is a form of spirit possession. It was first documented in the Bible however some forms of common day Christianity still practice it.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:41 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• There is the gift of tongues spoken of in 1 Corinthians I believe and it is one of the gifts Holy Spirit gives.... when we are baptized with Fire! Everyone has the gift just not everyone walks in it. ( I am speaking of Christians)
    There is also the prayer language where we pray in tongues. It is a conversation between you and God.
    I will strongly say it is not dead but very much alive today. It has not ended and will not until the end of the age. It is much needed to build and edify the spirit man and the body of Christ.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 8:28 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Mark 16:17 is better when you include the whole context... "15 He said to the Eleven, “Go into all the world & preach the gospel to all creation.16 Whoever believes & is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned. 17 & these signs will accompany those who believe: In my name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new tongues; 18 they will pick up snakes with their hands; & when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all; they will place their hands on sick people, & they will get well.

in this verse Jesus was talking to the Apostles...THEY would do these great things. no matter how much one believes we can not drink deadly poison and not be hurt by it & the majority of Christians can not heal ppl by laying on of hands...so why do we think we can speak in tongues? & why does speaking in tongues only make sense thru an interpretor and not to the whole room like in Acts?
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 9:27 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Now there were staying in Jerusalem God-fearing Jews from every nation under heaven. 6 When they heard this sound, a crowd came together in bewilderment, because each one heard their own language being spoken. 7 Utterly amazed, they asked: “Aren’t all these who are speaking Galileans? 8 Then how is it that each of us hears them in our native language? 9 Parthians, Medes and Elamites; residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia,[b] 10 Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya near Cyrene; visitors from Rome 11 (both Jews and converts to Judaism); Cretans and Arabs—we hear them declaring the wonders of God in our own tongues!”

Doesn't this mean if you are in a church and someone is speaking "in tongues" you'd still hear them in english?

Koukla12905

Answer by Koukla12905 at 11:40 AM on Jan. 21, 2011