How old should a child be when brushing his/her own hair?

I have one kid with long hair that she has a hard time brushing it out in the mornings, even with detangler. Her older sister is only one year older and can brush her own hair without problems, but its also very short. So, what should be the age for them to do it themselves?

Imortlmommy

Asked by Imortlmommy at 6:59 PM on Jan. 20, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• my dd is 16months and she already brushes her own hair. i just have to guide her..it just depends on the child
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 7:00 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• My 3 yr old has been doing it for a while and my 18 month old tries to brush what little hair he has
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 7:01 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• my girl is 6 years old and she has trouble getting all the tangles out of her hair. it is longer and thick. i am nit picky about how her hair looks so i always brush and fix it for her. my mom never brushed my hair when i was a kid as a result i had big mats underneath. my dd will never have that happen to her hair.
    sweetestkitten

Answer by sweetestkitten at 7:03 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• my oldest is 4 and she doesn't brush her own hair yet. she takes her hairclips and scrunchies out but cant brush it. its long too
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:14 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• i think it depends on the child and the length and thickness of the hair.. some hair is more difficult to brush.. My 3 yar old has very thin hair so it i s somewhat easy for her to do it by herself
    knm51504

Answer by knm51504 at 7:18 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• My dd is starting to take interest in brushing her own hair (she is 16months). I will still do it too. But she will as well. I say when they show a interest and can do it then let them. You can always re brush it if it is too messy or going somewhere nice
    MamaWolf1981

Answer by MamaWolf1981 at 7:22 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I guess it depends on the child and the hair. My first DD started brushing her own hair after she was 5 because her her is CRAZY!!! My other daughters starting brushing their own hair when they were toddlers.
    mysevenkids

Answer by mysevenkids at 7:24 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• My daughter is 7 and just started. Her hair is long and gets bad knots. All kids are different.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:31 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Whenever they can but I would think by 5 or 6 they could at least try and do a half way descent job even if it's not perfect.
    My 4yo has been brushing her own hair since she turned 3 but she likes to keep it short (it's just below her chin right now). My 8yo brushes her own hair all the way through and it gets really tangled when she sleeps. She's been doing it since she was 4, I guess but only in the last year has she done it without me needing to check or finish it up for her before school. My 10yo still can't figure out how to brush her hair right but I think that has more to do with laziness than anything.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:45 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• My dd is 8 and has waist length thick hair. She brushes it herself and doesnt get the back tangles out so I brush it after she does. I dont think there is a set age. I also think that its to bad that so many parents now days miss out on the small stuff. I love the memories of my mom brushing my hair.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 9:11 PM on Jan. 20, 2011