Will I regret it? Getting rid of 3 month old dog?

We just bought a sm silky terrier for $900.00. She is beautiful and does not bark. I love her but its to much stress a new house w/lots of work, new baby, hubby works 80 hrs a week, and a 3 year old. So hubby and i put a add on craigs list. We bought everything for the dog. EVERYTHING. Im just to stressed out trying to train her. So we are going to just give her away. We may ask for a couple hundred but its nothing to what we spent on her and her stuff. Am i gunna regret it we are all so attached? I never had a pet before...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:05 PM on Jan. 20, 2011 in Pets

• I would regret it....if everyone is so attached then keep it.....they are great dogs....try one of the potty pads they worked with mine before she passed.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 7:06 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• You will be sad for a while but if that is what is best for your family then that is what you will always come back to. Just a hint though. DO charge something. It ensures that the person getting her really wants her. If they aren't willing to pay an adoption fee (even 30 dollars) then they don't really want the dog.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:07 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I would regret it!!!! I don't believe in throwing pets away when things get tough.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 7:08 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I wouldn't ask $500.00 you want people who are really interested and who will love the puppy. You just bought her so she is still young, and you are including all the supplies. I'm leery of craigslist because the people replying can be so random that I'd want to make sure she went to a really loving home. Puppies are a lot of work, if it's too much work you are doing the right thing.  Most breeders will take the puppy back, and are actually used to it happening fairly often.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:09 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I would also make a contract giving me first option if the new owners choose to no longer keep the pet with in the first 3 months or so.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:12 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• You may regret it, but with every thing you've got going on you're no doing yourself or your dog any favors. I waited until my twins were 7 until I got a dog because I thought it was important for them to be involved in it's training. I'm glad I did that. Plus, if you get a dog when your kids are older they will remember the oh so fleeting puppy stage. I think you're doing a smart thing.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 7:13 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Training a puppy is really hard work, and sometimes people don't realize how hard it is until after they have one. At 3 months old you will easily be able to find a good home, just BE PICKY about who it goes to! And I agree that you should charge something, because people that don't really want to care for a pet probably won't want to pay for it. It's better that the puppy goes to a home that has time for it than to keep it for the money and not be able to train it properly or give it the time it needs. Good Luck, I hope you find a good home.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 7:16 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I personally would regret it. I believe animals become part of the family. How will your child feel? It may cause lots of problems. But it is up to you. I would sell her for a similar amount as you got her for. (Wish I had that kind of money I didn't have to worry about getting it back. 900 is a LOT to pay for a dog. Not many have that much money to "throw away").
    MamaWolf1981

Answer by MamaWolf1981 at 7:29 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Of course you will. Just stick it out. It gets much easier after the first year. That's a bad lesson for your kids.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:30 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I think bringing it back to the breeder is the best thing. You will be sad, I was when we had to re-home our dog. I'm still sad, because I love him, but i get updates from the people that have him, so it makes it easier. I took a few months to find the right home for him, and it was completely worth it. Don't get too frustrated and just give your puppy to the first person that calls. A breeder that charges $900 for a puppy should take the puppy back and re-home her.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 8:20 PM on Jan. 20, 2011