How would you deal with this?

My kids share. My kids are curious. I have a friend who's child just takes and takes even when its not her toys. The mom doesn't care too much about if her kid breaks my kids things unless I speak up. This mom yells at my kids if they play with her kids toys for fear my kids will steal it or break it. Her kid has also been stealing my kids toys and yet my kids get screwed over when we socialize with them. I've put up with it, I've talked with the mom about it, and still nothing gets resolved. How would you deal with this situation with the parent AND the child?

Side note: I've put up with it because I have limited friends offline that I can talk to, but its a constant annoyance and unfair that my kids can't play with things when we visit them. She also talks to her child like "glad you are potty trained, unlike her son who's a year older" and thinks its okay if I discipline my kid out loud, she thinks its okay to push it and drag it out even after I've dealt with the problem.

Imortlmommy

Asked by Imortlmommy at 7:09 PM on Jan. 20, 2011 in General Parenting

• Be done with her. When your kids are picking up the tab, it isn't worth it. Slowly pull away and stop doing things. You'll find new friends.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 7:13 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• just drop her. its not worth the headache and your kids getting upset over. i have a friend like this, and my contact is now very limited with her.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:18 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I would end that relationship. If you are that desperate for friends you are going to drive your self and your kids nuts. Go look for better people to hang with.

sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 7:20 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• With friends like that .....??? I would question what I was teaching my children by continuing a friendship with the family.
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 7:22 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• i would not even consider her a "off-line friend"...that is not a reciprocal relationship...i would bail...
    jmomma2003

Answer by jmomma2003 at 7:24 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I would find other friends. Maybe there are cafe moms that live in your area. Try play groups or moms groups in your area.
    MamaWolf1981

Answer by MamaWolf1981 at 7:25 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• You do not need friends like this!!  I'd rather be alone. Try your local library's story hour to meet new moms and try www.meetup.com to find moms groups.  GL!!

elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:31 PM on Jan. 20, 2011