1 down and 534 to go......Is Political violence going to get out of control?

Police in Arlington, MA this week seized a “large amount” of weapons and ammunition from local businessman Travis Corcoran after he wrote a blog post threatening U.S. lawmakers in the wake of the shooting of Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-AZ). In a post on his blog (which has since been removed) titled “1 down and 534 to go” — 1 referring to Giffords and 534 referring to the rest of the House of Representatives and the Senate — Corcoran applauded the shooting of Giffords and justified the assassination of lawmakers because he argued the federal government has grown far beyond its constitutional limits. “It is absolutely, absolutely unacceptable to shoot indiscriminately. Target only politicians and their staff and leave regular citizens alone,” he wrote in the post.

“We certainly take this as a credible threat,” Arlington police Captain Robert Bongiorno told reporters, adding that “multiple federal law enforcement agencies” were involved. Authorities also suspended Corcoran’s gun license, though he is currently not facing any charges.

Corcoran calls himself “an anarcho-capitalist” and while his blog has been taken down, based on his Twitter page, he appears to hold views similar to those of many in the anti-government libertarian wing of the conservative movement, like many tea party activists. Anarcho-capitalism is a radical subset of libertarianism, and is often referred to as “libertarian-anarchy.” For example, echoing calls from many on the right, Corcoran tweeted, “it is unconstitutional for the Feds to even run a department of education.”

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 7:29 PM on Jan. 20, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• with reporter Laura Leslie, Corcoran lays out a conventional anti-government philosophy, and explains in depth why he views assassination as legitimate:

“I assert that the US federal gov has grown unconstitutionally large, and the legislature exceeds the powers delegated to it by the people,” Corcoran wrote. “As per the Declaration of Indep, when a gov becomes destructive those ends, it may be abolished,” he continued, “and the most moral approach is that which spares the maximum number of lives. Thus, assasination is a legitimate tool.

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 7:30 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• He goes on to further justify assassination as “morally legitimate,” citing “Catholic Just War doctrine” among other theories, and explains, “It’s illegal, yes, but it’s not un-American. America was founded on the idea of shooting gov officials. Lexington Concord!” In another tweet, he writes, “I disagree with murder. …but shooting politicians who pass illegitimate, unconstitutional laws is not murder.” And in case there’s any doubt about his sincery, he writes, “Nope, it’s not a joke. I’m 100% serious.”

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 7:31 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• He also appears to be a fan of Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY), re-tweeting a positive message about him in May: “Lefties: Before you start fringe-baiting Rand Paul, note that he's better on civil liberties than most Democratic senators. And Obama.” He seems to dislike liberals, writing, " you so called liberals make me laugh – you’re all for free speech until someone disagrees, then it’s ‘report him!’” He also accuses the Daily Kos of  " Stalism.”

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 7:32 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Scary... I've never understood all this hatred between political parties. You don't believe like I do, so what? Doesn't make you any less human. I feel like we take away people's humanity and just leave the labels too much in this country....
    MonkeyPeanut79

Answer by MonkeyPeanut79 at 7:33 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• reshman Rep. Renee Ellmers (R-N.C.) says she'll be carrying a concealed weapon in her home district.

"I have one. And I'll be carrying," she told The Charlotte Observer, The Observer reports that Ellmers has had a concealed-carry permit since February 2010.

Rep. Sue Myrick (R-N.C.), a onetime hunter, is also considering returning to her gunslinging ways.

"I've been thinking of it for some time and haven't gotten around to it," Myrick said, according to The Observer. "I'm a pretty good shot. Most women are."

Rep. Heath Shuler, a North Carolina Democrat, as well as Rep. Jason Chaffetz, Republican from Utah, have already announced that they will be carrying their sidearms while touring their home districts.

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 7:36 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Remind me to keep my family far away from any political meeting.

I don't want them to be casualties of an old fashioned western-style shootout.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 7:47 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

•  Remind me to keep my family far away from any political meeting.

Shame , isn't it? ....HOME GROWN TERRORISM..

.and WHO IS GROWING it??

mmmmmmmhhhhh

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 7:50 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• sleep

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:51 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Pointy points

Another nut ..good thing he got busted.I do not believe it is growing just that it is more out there with the internet.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 7:53 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• This is sickening. He should be ashamed of himself.

I don't think it has grown any more than it was before. We have different technology these days and it seems that people that hardly knew how to type a decade or two ago all have a blog. Nobody listened to them when all they did was talk, but now that they put it in writing it seems like a real threat. While some might be serious, I don't think it's anywhere near as many that seem to get attention.  JMO.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 7:55 PM on Jan. 20, 2011