It's all in how you raise your dog ... and yes, even if its a pitbull !

Its all in how you raise a dog. , just like its all in how u raise a kid. I have two children and a pitbull dog and they all are nice people / animals. but yes, my child has slapped another human, and in preschool has even took a bite out of a kids arm once ... did i get rid of my kid or shoot it? NO ! I didnt even label my kid as a bad "breed".

mistik75

Asked by mistik75 at 7:30 PM on Jan. 20, 2011 in Pets

• Any animal with teeth can bite... This is why a small child should never be left unattended with any animal. Not even a hamster.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:32 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I think there is a little bit of a difference between children and pets. JMO

elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:33 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Thank You!!!!
    XaviersMama311

Answer by XaviersMama311 at 7:35 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Of course. One of the nastiest most vicious dogs I ever met was a pomeranian. Evil little monster.

The majority of severe dog bites are from small dogs, not big ones.

That said, dogs are animals --not people-- and they can be triggered (regardless of their training) to behave instinctively, including attacking people. When dogs attack people they don't 'suddenly stop' because they learn that it's wrong, or understand it's wrong, or have someone supervising them all the time to reinforce the wrongness of it so they stop.

Vicious dogs can be re-trained... sometimes. Generally, dogs (pets of all kinds) are not considered to be 'worth' what it takes in terms of man-hours and effort, to re-train when they attack children. They are unsafe, period... should they be in jail?
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 8:03 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Pitbull's are the most misread breed out of all dogs. It's all about it's envirement and how it's been treated. Just like everything else including children. If you raise a baby through poverty and a poor household it's most likely to grow up to "make ends meet" in unlawful ways.. A dog is the same way. If you beat the shit out of it when its a baby it'll protect itself when it's older. Wouldn't that be what you would do if someone tried hitting you? Some people don't understand and actually think about what someone or something has been through. That's why millions of pit bulls are put to sleep every year, because they can't speak for themselves and express their feelings other than what they have been praised for. I.E, dog fighting;
    sbushman13011

Answer by sbushman13011 at 8:47 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I completely agree with you OP.
    Growing up, my family rescued, rehabilitated, and fostered many animals. Most of which were abused, some severely. But my parents showed us at a young age, how to lead the pack, train, and rehabilitate these souls.
    You have no idea how many people ask me if my chihuahua has ever bitten my DD, because chis are "snappy". I got my chi from an abused home..she was so bad, that they didn't even know her tail was supped to be a curly one, like a pug. It was between her legs and wrapped around a leg so much, that it is slanted to the left...permanently. SHe was a wreck, and was snappy. But through training and love, by the time my DD was born, I had no doubt in my mind that i trusted my chi around my baby 100%. And i have no doubt in my mind, that no matter what kind of dog i get next, no matter what happened to it, there is still a good dog in there. Just needs some help.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 9:31 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Although the way that you raise and handle your dog is very important, it certainly is not the supreme deciding factor that creates a tractable dog. There are other considerations such as the health of the animal and its genetics to take into consideration with any breed or breed(s) of dog.

spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 1:13 AM on Jan. 21, 2011