i dont understand......? givin birth or not?

Do u look at c sections as not "giving birth"?? people make comments to me about havin c sections like i didnt give birth to my kids. i felt labor pains i just had no choice to get a c section. i kind of feel less of a woman bc i dont get to push my kids out. people sayin these things arent helping!!! what do u think? is it givin birth or not?

chrstny88

Asked by chrstny88 at 5:16 PM on Nov. 13, 2008 in Pregnancy

• It's giving birth...I mean, just because I had epidurals and didn't feel my kids come out does that mean I too didn't give birth? Don't let those 'all natural' people get to you, they always have their panties in a bunch anyway!
    Anonymous

• you carried that baby in your womb, you gave birth simple as that. It doesn't mater how you finaly delivered IMO.
    LadySaphira

Answer by LadySaphira at 5:19 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• you gave birth. doesnt matter how the baby gets out. i had a c section with my son and i didnt have a choice in the matter it was a emergency c section it can happen to even the "All natuaral" people. dont let others bother you.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 5:21 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Yep still giving birth but worse I would think! I gave birth naturally no drugs btw
    Allysmom11

Answer by Allysmom11 at 5:22 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I think it's very heartbreaking that so many women are having c-sections that are not necessary. With the c-section, you miss out on the incredible experience of birth, the chemical rush of oxytocin that are there to send you off in to motherhood. It does not mean that having a c-section is not giving birth, because all mothers must give some kind of birth to become mothers, however, many are cheated out of things because interventions and procedures are pushed on to them, ultimately leading to a c section. If more women truly educated themselves on the emotional and spiritual nature of childbirth, and learn that it does not necessarily belong in a hospital, and is not a dangerous medical condition, less women would fall in to this hospital birth c-section trap.
    lillys_mommy09

Answer by lillys_mommy09 at 5:29 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Yes, it's still giving birth. I think it's worse than a natural delivery. After giving birth I was ready to get up and move around, c-section mommies have a lot longer recovery time.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 5:31 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I've had 2 c-sections and honestly it didn't feel like birth to me. It felt like a surgical procedure, nothing more. I had such a hard time bonding with my first c-sec baby because of this. Due to the c-section my second c-section baby ended up in the NICU with breathing problems realated to his 'birth'. He is still suffering, 5 years later, for my stupid choice(the first was needed but not the second). My 5th child was born vaginally, Thank God. So I guess it really depends on how the mother sees it. For *me* no, I don't see it as birth. I never even wrote anyone a birth story, it just didn't seem right.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 5:32 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• You still get the oxytocin chemical rush with a c-section too!! The baby is delivered out of your body and your chemical make-up changes just as it would with a vaginal birth. I've had three c-sections all medically necessary because my kids weighed 9 lbs. 11oz./9lbs.3oz./8lbs 15oz. I am 4 ft. 10 in. tall and have a tiny flat pelvis. I was in labor for 40hrs. and forceps were used, no luck at all. C-section was the only option to get my baby out of my body before he was worn out. With each final ultrasound my other babies were going to be just as big. My body could not handle a vaginal birth. I do feel sad that I couldn't have a baby VAGINALLY, but I still gave BIRTH to all three of my babies.
    Kimx3babies

Answer by Kimx3babies at 5:37 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I understand your feelings. I had a natural child birth with my first (no drugs or anything), and then my twins were both breech and I had to have a C-Section. I found the C-Section experience very disappointing. When I refer to their birth I usually just say they were delivered, and then I always find myself trying to explain I had to have the C-Section because they were breech - like I need to apologize. But, hey, we can still be great moms! The birth experience does not define the rest of our babies lives...and they aren't going to remember it like they'll remember all the stuff you do for them when they are older.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 5:51 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• For me, personally, I don't feel that c-sections are "giving birth". I would feel really cheated if I had a c-section for that exact reason. A mom who has a baby via c-section is no less a mom, and was no less pregnant, etc. But I just can't see it as "giving birth" - that is an active phrase for me, and the mother having a c-section is passive and really not as involved in the birth. The doctors do everything and most of the time the mother is hidden behind a curtain and doesn't even see the birth, can't hold the baby, can't feel it beyond pulling and tugging. So no, I don't feel like a c-section can be considered the act of giving birth. But nobody has to define it the way I do.
    Anonymous