How to Keep a Marriage Strong????

What things do you and hubby do to keep your relationship strong?

MommaClark3

Asked by MommaClark3 at 7:44 PM on Jan. 20, 2011 in Relationships

• Open communication, Patience and understanding
    lilxblink82

Answer by lilxblink82 at 7:46 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Communicate and always think before you speak (meaning before you open your mouth to bitch think about whether it's really worth it)
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 7:46 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• We cook dinner together and make it a point to sit down and talk to each other every day. We also watch a movie together in the living room often. We both like companionship, so it's nice to be together.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 8:40 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• my parents have been together for 29 years, raised six kids. and whenever someone asks them how they survived or what they do to keep thier marriage strong- they ALWAYS say the same thing: date night. once a week- without fail, and without excuses- they block at least two hours to go on a date (or even do dinner at home), but it's alone with all technological devices turned off. seems to do them wonders :D
    lexi8622

Answer by lexi8622 at 10:55 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• talk!
    dont have secrets
    san78

Answer by san78 at 11:37 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Personally, I talk to my husband a lot by cell phone through each day (every day he's off at work).... we play EverQuest together... and the list goes on!!!
    MommaClark3

Comment by MommaClark3 (original poster) at 7:45 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Respect.

Whenever I get wrapped up in my life and think my preferences, whims, taste and issues are more important, more valid or more worthy of 'winning'... well, it don't go well.

When I respect the fact that my husband's preferences, whims, taste and issues are as important to him as mine are to me... things go well.

Appreciation is the #1 power tool of marriage --no contest. Even just thinking about how you appreciate your spouse will make massive positive changes to your relationship.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 7:46 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• communication, listening to what the other has to say, and being willing to compromise.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 7:48 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Mutual respect, open communication, and thinking before you speak :)
    MonkeyPeanut79

Answer by MonkeyPeanut79 at 7:58 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• We communicate, datenights every month, and actually make time for each other. We live by the motto, " Our marriage is the foundation of our family. If that foundation cracks or breaks, our family will cease to exist."
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 10:36 PM on Jan. 20, 2011