How do you deal with a child with Asprger Syndrome?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:18 PM on Jan. 20, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• My nephew has aspergers and it is very difficult. It is alot of work because you have to border yourself between trying to disclipine but in a way they can understand and make sure to not discipline them for something that is soley based on the syndrome. It is really good advice to say buy a book on aspergers. Not really just any one specifically, we bought a bunch and educated ourselves the moment we found out. Now looking back, we realized we did some things wrong and some things right, but thats how it goes when you have no clue. Just learn what you can and figure out how to add that in to the specific childs needs.
    Some small hints
    Never take away their obession
    Never threaten or say that they have been bad, they whole heartedly believe you and its hard stopping that thought process
    Offer a small comfort object for them to carry in their pocket, it helps "ground" them in tough times, anything the child chooses
    Bobbysgurl

Answer by Bobbysgurl at 8:31 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• when i say comfort object like a small smooth rock, or marble are army guy they can touch, something the child is drawn too
    Dont force them to look at you in the eyes, its very difficult and just dont make them, they still can hear you
    With tantrums, try to get them to remember their words, say We can fix this together if you use your words, sometimes this works sometimes not.
    Good luck!
    Bobbysgurl

Answer by Bobbysgurl at 8:34 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I am a special ed teacher.......I had a student like the one you are describing last year. It took a lot of patience and humor to get him through his 7th grade year. He loved music, so we would dance after his work was done, and during class he would play with play doh that was only kept in my classroom. They are VERY challenging but also VERY smart!! Soooo interesting. Also, look in your neighborhood, there may be some "play-groups" or field trips for your nephew.
    kayteee25

Answer by kayteee25 at 9:09 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• My daughter is being tested for this soon. we are waiting for approval of insurance to cover testing. I know my daughter tends to go to music and drawing to calm herself
    WildCat73

Answer by WildCat73 at 12:49 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Very helpful site here: http://parentingaspergers.com/blog/

Answer by gdiamante at 5:11 AM on Jan. 26, 2011