Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 Bumps

H&R Block no longer does this?

H&R Block no longer offers RAL's (Refund Anticipation Loans-Rapid Refund).
Jackson Hewitt claims they do but only up to a certain amount.

Does anyone one else offer RAL? Online? Are in home tax preparers allowed to offer it? Can the bank?



Asked by Anonymous at 8:29 PM on Jan. 20, 2011 in Money & Work

This question is closed.
Answers (12)
  • Don't waste your money! There is nothing magical about doing taxes. Unless you have complicated financial transactions, do them yourself.

    Answer by rkoloms at 9:45 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

  • The became basically illegal to do. Sorry hun, I'm a tax preparer and we all got the same memo before tax season started.

    Answer by DomoniqueWS at 10:42 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

  • The IRS "stopped it" because it was a rip off. Just do direct deposit and get ALL your money rather than paying an exorbitant fee.


    Answer by LoveMyDog at 9:05 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

  • It's not a law exactly. But the IRS stopped giving out the information needed (whether or not you owe back taxes, or other liens on your tax refund) so it's risky business to hand out RAL's when there is a possibility of them not seeing the money. I have heard that some places are still doing it but with a $1500 limit.

    If you can wait though it would be best if you did. It's a lot of money to get your refund early. and if you file soon you'll get your return in a couple weeks anyway.

    Answer by Erica_Smerica at 12:41 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

  • I was curious about this myself.

    Answer by sunsetbeach81 at 8:32 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

  • if you efile and do it direct deposited it only takes 10 business days

    Answer by Candie2008 at 8:57 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

  • Liberty Taxes. My friend went yesterday to get hers done a hour later she got a check for $1500(that is all they will give during that time).

    Answer by nicjon at 8:43 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

  • @ rkoloms

    I have a complicated financial situation.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:48 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

  • Oh, and you can do them yourself online for cheap, if you own a house and have a bunch of write offs, a business you own, stocks etc, you may want a tax preparer for liability reasons, but other than that one is not needed. Hell, if you need questions answered PM me and I can get you the most up to date info. Sometimes if you go to a place where the owner works preparing they will work out a payment plan, or allow you to pay them back after you file. But you have to ask. Since that is basically what RAL's are, a way to pay the preparer ahead of time and get the approx amount of your check ASAP.

    Answer by DomoniqueWS at 10:45 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

  • I do my own taxes because I do not think I should have to pay to have them done. I go direct deposited and have my refund in 10 days.

    Answer by Mom2Just1 at 11:20 AM on Jan. 21, 2011