Is she ready getting ready to potty train?

DD is 16months old (almost). She absolutely can not stand to have a wet diaper on. The second she wets her diaper she takes it off (sometimes a little too early). And when she makes a messy diaper she comes to me imeaditally to have me change her, and is upset if i dont get the soiled diaper off fast enough. We have had a few fluke times where i have put her on the potty before a bath and she has gonte, or where i cetch her about to poo and set her on and she goes. When she uses the potty she gets excited and claps and sas yay. Also she is becoming increasingly interested in following me into the bathroom to see what i am doind and likes to flush the potty for me. My issue is that she cant (or wont) use words to tell me when she has gone, so i know she wont tell me when she has to go. Should i start to train her now, or wait untill she will talk to me? (she can talk, she just usually wont)

mommy2alissa

Asked by mommy2alissa at 5:26 PM on Nov. 13, 2008 in General Parenting

• She sounds like she might be ready, if you do start be very patient she is still very young. Most babies potty train between 2-3yrs.
    Anonymous

• Sounds like it. We started potty training about two months ago. At this age, it is slowly but surely.

A few pointers, put DD on the potty after naps and about once an hour. Pay attention to what time she goes poo. Seeing poo in the potty (rather then pee which is not as noticeable) really helped. She poos in the potty everyday but we are still working on pee. When I put DD on the potty she gets a little cracker. This way she will stay on the potty long enough to go. Also, make a big deal about it. We sing "Simone went pee/poo in the potty! Simone went pee/poo on the potty. Yeah Simone! Yeah Simone." As we parade into the bathroom. She also gets a couple of chocolate chips after we dump her little potty into the big potty. We also say "bye poo/pee."

jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 6:34 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• While DD doesn't have the words to tell me she needs to go to the potty,she definitely has the body language. She always makes a funny face and eye contact when she needs to poo. lol. We are working on the words. She says "bye poo" now so I am sure it wont be too long.

Good luck!
    jcsscfam5

• thanks!
    mommy2alissa

Answer by mommy2alissa at 7:48 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Sounds like she is getting ready ...you can introduce her to the world of potty training its never to early but since she is having a hard time communicating about needing to use the potty just wait til later to start on hard core training.
    CrystalDawn2506

Answer by CrystalDawn2506 at 9:41 PM on Nov. 13, 2008