Misreading a dog (i.e pit bulls) *vent*

So many animals are put to sleep every year for doing the only thing they have been praised for as a puppy, dog fighting. I hate when people don't stop and think that maybe the dog can be trained otherwise and of course there's always going to be a risk that something MAY set the dog off. But in the right envirenment and training youthenizing is not the only option. I hate to sound like a crazy animal lady but seriously, some people don't realize this. And it's really sad /:

sbushman13011

Asked by sbushman13011 at 8:50 PM on Jan. 20, 2011 in Pets

• I agree completely. I know of certain shelters that will put a pittie down just because of the breed. Won't even give them a damn chance and it angers the hell out of me!!!
    XaviersMama311

Answer by XaviersMama311 at 8:52 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Ah! I'd be the crazy pregnant lady standing outside throwing a fit !!
    sbushman13011

Comment by sbushman13011 (original poster) at 8:55 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I agree, but there are so many of them and not enough qualified people to take on, re-train, and home those dogs. It's a sad but true fact. There isn't enough resources to do such a thing. There are a couple of small rescues that do that, but they can only do so much. Even after you re-home them there aren't enough homes where the person is knowledgeable enough to take on that kind of dog, there will always be a chance of a relapse, something to trigger it.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 8:57 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I'm not talking about any pit, I'm talking about those trained to fight..
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 8:58 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• That's very true. But, immediate youthenization is not good. Atleast show the dog what a good life SHOULD have been. Then slowly youthenize the dog humanely not just go right ahead and do it. I think there should be SOME good to come out of it /:
    sbushman13011

Comment by sbushman13011 (original poster) at 8:58 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I own a pitbull. She is the sweetest thing in the world and would NEVER hurt anyone. She loves people and is so gentle and kind. They get such a bad reputation. Shame on those jerks who make them mean. They are not a breed to fear when in the right environment. I love my SadieBell.
    fricky29

Answer by fricky29 at 9:04 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• They're branded with the idea that all pits are aggressive, one thing i promised myself to do before i die is to raise awareness about this. And to save horses from atleast 1 or more slaughter houses in FL.
    sbushman13011

Comment by sbushman13011 (original poster) at 9:12 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• It's such a shame that these wonderful dogs have such a bad reputation because people don't know how to treat animals.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 9:13 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I agree completely ):
    sbushman13011

Comment by sbushman13011 (original poster) at 9:16 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I Own a Pitt as well her name: DIVA     She's a very good dog,She's also good with my kids ,but has to have treats just to be trained.Training is very ,very difficult! BUT WITH TIME AND PATIENCE I KNOW IN THE END SHE WILL BE A WONDERFUL DOG! Because right now she's very very wild and jumps on everyone int the mornings and she has no manners.and she's got to learn consistancy.With that being said very hyper but also don't deserve the names that a Pitt Bull gets!

Hugeat8wks

Answer by Hugeat8wks at 9:19 PM on Jan. 20, 2011