What can I do about hot flashes ?

I get hot and sweaty and turn the heat down. Then I get chilly and turn it up. then down, then up. Any suggestions? I keep changing clothes too.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:51 PM on Jan. 20, 2011 in Health

• If you want to go with medications, the Dr. will be able to prescribe you something. I, personally, chose HRT. I take Activella. It's the only thing I found that works without side effects for me. It is a pill form. I tried the patches, but the Estra Derm would not stick. The Vivelle Dot gave me severe headaches. I hope that helps you.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 8:58 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I take black cohosh, and eat a serving of quality soy (like organic edamame or tofu) every day.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:48 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Move into your freezer! I personally have found little things such as dressing (while @ home) in shorts & a tank top but I always have a sweater close by. I try to always keep a fan blowing in my direction and when I sleep I will put a cold wrap/wash cloth ect on my neck but I stay coverd up with a light blanket. I was having huge issue's during the day when I'd be out & about, which really sucks; so again I always try to dress in layer's so I can remove or add, whenever needed. I also was told by a friend of mine who is a natropathic, that if you rub or hold something cold to your wrist it can relieve the hot flashe's faster. For instance if you have a cold drink hold it to your wrist, or run cold water over it. She gave me a teething ring that I freeze @ night & then keep in my purse, it might look silly @ times but it does help. You can go to home or health stores & try to find something that wont be as noticeable.
    Hope4Teal

Answer by Hope4Teal at 11:12 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• My mom uses Progesterone Cream at night. She says that helps her.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 1:33 AM on Jan. 21, 2011