About how much would you expect a power bill to be for a 1250-ish square foot house? (with more info)

(Asked previously, but now am including more information. Thanks for all earlier input.)

About how much would you expect a power bill to be for a 1250-ish square foot house?

Just renovated with all-new heating/air conditioning units, water heater, etc., energy-efficient windows, new insulation and sealing, one story.

It's all electric, no gas. Appliances are stove and fridge. We live in SC, so summers are up there, but winters aren't usually too bad; our bill where we are now is usually 25-50% higher in the summer.

If it helps at all, we're in a 970 square foot townhome now, not energy efficient at all (you can feel the wind when sitting in front of a window, and the upstairs bakes during the summer), and are currently paying $150-ish in the high months.

It's not possible to ask a previous tenant, as we would be the first people living in this house since the current owner bought it and renovated it, including adding on additional rooms (basically doubled the size of the house) and made it energy-efficient, so it would also be fairly pointless to call the power company to get averages.

DragonRiderMD

Asked by DragonRiderMD at 8:53 PM on Jan. 20, 2011 in Money & Work

• We live in SC and we have about 1400 sq ft. Our electric bill last month was $163. We have all electric, too. We could definitely use new windows and my husband is planning on add insulation to the attic this spring, so I would think your electric bill would be less than ours. In the summer our electric bill is about the same. Maybe a little more in the really warm months. During the spring and fall when we have the windows open and no a/c or heating, we can get our bill down to right around or just under $100.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:51 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 10:17 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I can see your bill staying at what it is now! Really depends on your comfort level and if you have ceiling fans! My mom has fans in every room and it makes the biggest difference!!! but if you keep your thermostat at a reasonable temp and dont fluctuate it every hour, and keep lights off when not in use I dont see your bill being outrageous at all! My electric bill for that size house was always about 120...and I dont remember it being at all energy efficient! But i didnt pay for water either!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 3:15 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Well I lived in an 1100 sq ft house in southern east coast NC and our electric was about $200 to $225 in the summer and at most was $250 when it was freezing here in the winter. Our lowest bill was $115
    CassiRae3

Answer by CassiRae3 at 8:56 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Oh my, hard to say. but I wold put yourself on a budget plan....and if they don't do a budget plan for whatever reason, pay like $100 to $150 each month and it will build credit for summer months. or even $200 since it's all electric.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 8:58 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I will also add that in the summer we keep our thermostat at 80 during the day and 78 at night. In the winter it's at 66 during the day and 64 at night.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:56 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Here in Souther Ky it would proably run any where from $150-$220
    sheer_heart

Answer by sheer_heart at 10:03 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• When I was renting I had under 1000 sf, all electric heat, single pane windows. In the winter my heating bills were sometimes $200+. I didn't use the air conditioning in the summer, just kept the blinds and curtains closed and it kept it pretty cool inside.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:52 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I agree with the last post.. my house is pretty similar to yours.. we keep the temp around 68 in the winter and around 76 in the summer time.. between both our electric and gas the total bill is never more than $250. electric is about $125-$175 in the winter and gas is around $50 and then they switch in the summer time.
    akbogan

Answer by akbogan at 12:18 PM on Jan. 24, 2011