Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

4 Bumps

Is 52 and single able to be a foster parent?

I would love to help a child or children in need. Does anyone know if I am to old and if being single is ok? I don't know were to start. Thought someone on here might. thans

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 8:54 PM on Jan. 20, 2011 in Adoption

Answers (12)
  • You can. Go to your state's children's services website, they will have info! :-)

    Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 9:02 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

  • When I worked in mental health, I had a client who was a foster child. And she resided with a single mother for a period of time.

    Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:04 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

  • I think it depends on the ages of any children you might foster. You might be more appropriate for an older child.

    On the other hand, I saw a couple one day in the doctor's office with 2 babies in strollers and got to talking to them.

    They were foster parents in the late sixties. You should check with your local social services or foster care agency, Single people adopt, so I imagine they can foster,

    Answer by Southernroots at 9:43 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

  • Yes, call your local children and youth services agency.

    Answer by ceallaigh at 9:56 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

  • I was in foster care one was a widow in her 60's and the other were a retired couple man in his 50 or 60's the women in 40's ..but this was almost 30 years ago so I don't know if things have changed I hope not because i would love to be a foster parent in the future.

    Answer by peace013 at 10:25 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

  • Many people your age foster and the fact that you're single typically doesn't alter it. It depends on your state's regulations but most of the time, they're needing foster parents in a serious way. Now, if you sign up with an agency instead of going directly with the state, you would also have to meet the guidelines of the agency and they DO have more stipulations. We don't use an agency but sometimes the reimbursement increases if you do use an agency, etc.

    Good luck :)

    Answer by AAAMama at 10:47 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

  • Sure! Call your local social services a d they will put you in touch with the right people. They will assess your situation and once you complete all their requirements - they will call you when you are the right person and home for a child in need. No perfect parents are expected. Just an open mind, open heart, open home, and willingness to be a parent.

    Answer by frogdawg at 11:04 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

  • You would be great working and taking in teen girls, there are so many teens out there needing someone to love and guide them! The need for foster parents for older children is the greatest, so many want the little ones, it's disappointing... Good luck!

    Answer by TiffyTaffy79 at 2:00 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

  • You should be able to, but each state has their own restrictions. When I was doing foster care in Alaska, there were a lot of older couples and singles that had foster children. One of my foster kids had an older brother, who was 14, and he had a single, foster father who was in his 50s or 60s. If you are interested, you should contact your local social services, they will have the info, or tell you where you can find it. Being a foster parent is VERY rewarding, but it can also be very hard. I still wonder about some of the kids that went through my home and hope and pray that they are okay and safe. Good luck!

    Answer by Tawneekitn at 6:57 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

  • Thank you all! Not one of you was negative. That's refreshing. I was thinking of teens or preteens. Not that I mind younger ones, but like most of you said, the older ones have more problems getting placed. What a wonderful bunch of mom's you are!

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:04 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.