when will my son with down syndrome begin to walk?

my son is 19 months old with down syndrome and starting to get kinda heavy he got fitted for stride rite braces but hes still not taking steps .

natbug52

Asked by natbug52 at 5:29 PM on Nov. 13, 2008 in Kids' Health

• You just have to give him time, I think my niece was close to two when she started walking. Encourage him every day and help him as much as you can. get a umbrella stroller or a sling that holds more weight then just for newborns. Good luck!
    AnnHenderson

Answer by AnnHenderson at 5:38 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• My cousins little boy started when he was probably 2 or so she just constantly helped him walk and get his legs going and then he started on their own but they also told her that some dont til like age 4 its just a case by case basis.
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 6:23 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• That will depend entirely on him and how well he is responding to therapy and how healthy he is feeling (does your son have a heart defect, too? That can make it more laborious to breathe, therefore more difficult to have the energy to walk). While the AFOs will help to provide your DS with stability & support for his balance, he will still need to work on those skills as well as on developing adequate strength & coordination for the act of walking. Have you talked to his EI therapists about his walking? Also, how developmentally delayed is he? B/c, even though he may be physically ready to walk, his brain might not have caught up enough yet to develop that skill.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 8:16 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• My niece was 23 months when she started walking. She had lots of therapy too and an older sister that she was anxious to chase. Every child is different. Good Luck.
    amylynn196

Answer by amylynn196 at 4:30 PM on Nov. 15, 2008