Can you dye your hair while your pregnant?

sheer_heart

Asked by sheer_heart at 9:09 PM on Jan. 20, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I did a lot of research on this, because I used to dye my hair and worked in a salon so was going to be surrounded by it regardless. The truth is that while "they" advise against it- there's been no substantial evidence that it's actually harmful. The theory is that it's not good to be breathing in those chemicals and if you're using bleach on your scalp, that can sometimes not be good. But basically it's okay, I dyed my hair while pregnant (but used amonia free dye) and everything was fine. I'm not sure if you do it professionally or not, but if you do it yourself- it's best to buy hair dye at a beauty store, because those boxes at the grocery store actually contain a lot of bad/harsh chemicals that aren't good for your hair in general.
    lexi8622

Answer by lexi8622 at 9:14 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I was always told it's not a good idea, any kind of chemicals on the scalp.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:11 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Yes, it's fine. You are going to encounter less harmful chemicals dying your hair than you are cleaning your bathroom, but you aren't going to stop doing that. Just make sure you are in a well ventilated area/room so you don't have to breath more chemicals than necessary.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:17 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Yes, it's fine.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 9:18 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Yes, make sure the room is well ventalated. I used to be a beautician. I would put my customers who were pregnant near a window while I was coloring their hair.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 9:19 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Yes. Myself and countless other hairdressers and colorists continue to color our hair AND work in the very environment of haircolor during pregnancies. Perfectly safe...unless you get it in your eye or consume it.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:30 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I did. My OB said it was perfectly fine. You wouldn't want to close yourself in a small, poorly ventilated room, but you wouldn't do that regardless of whether you were pregnant or not, lol.
    KamAndKingsMama

Answer by KamAndKingsMama at 9:47 PM on Jan. 20, 2011