What do you do when you're at the playground and someone else's kid kicks your kid when his back is turned? Is it acceptable to discipline that child if his parents aren't paying attention/refuse to discipline their child?

GalacticOrphan

Asked by GalacticOrphan at 9:20 PM on Jan. 20, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• If the other child's parent don't address it, then I will. I would just tell the child firmly that they should not do that, and then I would encourage my child to move to a different part of the play area.
    JeanetteRene

Answer by JeanetteRene at 9:23 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I do. I don't care if it's acceptable. Some kid punched my kid in the stomach yesterday and I yelled at him.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 9:22 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I would keep it simple, say "no kicking" loud and clear, and move my kid some place else.
    Olivia4116

Answer by Olivia4116 at 9:22 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• If discipline means speak to the child, yes. You cannot touch the child.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:23 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• If the parent didn't notice then I'll announce it to where they do notice and hope they reprimand their child, if they refuse then yes I will raise my voice to another child for something they knew they were wrong for. That is very inappropriate and I'm very protective of my child. I don't care if the other child and/or their parent gets upset with me.
    CassiRae3

Answer by CassiRae3 at 9:24 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I think its completely ok to tell the child nicely and motherly it not nice to hit other children.
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 9:24 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• i agree with the two moms that answered before me. although some people get all bent outta shape if u say something to a child that is not yours..u are the person thats responsible for protecting your child..that instinct kicks in no matter what. if the child is too young to stick up for theirself especially then u are just doing what is right. if the child in the wrong has no parent around to tell them whats not right, i dont see it wrong for u to do so, as long as you do it respectfully of course, then it shouldnt be a problem to anyone
    hellokitty1978

Answer by hellokitty1978 at 9:27 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• If I saw another child deliberately kick my kid in the face not only would I have reprimanded the child regardless of what the parents excuse was I would've yelled at the parents too. I've called the local authorities before at a park when I watched a boy, probably about 12, push several very small children off a playground, chase them around kicking them, and finally slamming a boys head into the ground which resulted in a bloody nose. When to police showed up the boys mother emerged from a car when she realized her kid was somehow involved with the police situation. My child hadn't been touched but I wasn't going to just sit there watching some punk kid terrorize a playground he clearly was too old to be at while his mother sat in her car on her phone.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 9:48 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I agree with second poster.
    mysevenkids

Answer by mysevenkids at 9:25 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I agree with a previous poster I see no issue with telling the child it is not ok to kick, and moving your own child to a different area, but it IS NOT ok to physically touch someone else's kid.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 9:25 PM on Jan. 20, 2011