How to reheat freezer homemade foods?

Don't mean for this to sound stupid. I am thinking of starting small with freezing meals for my family such as spaghetti, casseroles, and soups. When it comes to reheating them again. Is it okay to heat it up in the microwave?

ChildGoddess

Asked by ChildGoddess at 9:26 PM on Jan. 20, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I would lay them out and thaw them prior to heating them back up.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:27 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I would probably use a double boiler.
    Texastrixie

Answer by Texastrixie at 9:32 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Yeah, definitely defrost first. I would probably just use the oven. If you dish them out, you could microwave individually, but to microwave it all would take too long and probably ruin the food.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 9:38 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Depends on the food. Casseroles I let thaw at last halfway. Soups, I let thaw, but then put them in a pot and heat on medium until hot. Spaghetti, I only freeze the sauce and meatballs and make fresh pasta when I am going to serve it. Generally I put it in a microwave safe bowl, cover and heat in the microwave for 2 minutes at a time, stir and repeat until hot.
    I also buy meat in large packages and cook it all at once. Like if I buy 5 lbs of hamburger I brown the whole package at once. I add salt, pepper and garlic to all of it because I use those things in all of my cooking. Then I use whatever I need for the meal we are eating that night and freeze the rest in one meal size batches. Then if I am in a real hurry one night the meat is already cooked. I can plop it in a pan and spice it up and make a really quick meal.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:47 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Either thaw overnight in refrigerator, never, never thaw on the counter at room temperature, you may try it many times and not have a problem, but then one day it could send your family to the hospital. (Just like the reason we use seatbelts-for that one time that there's a problem) You can reheat in the microwave.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 10:46 AM on Jan. 21, 2011