I am looking for ideas to get my baby to like food.

We work best on demand as far as feeding, but he does take a nap, bath, and bed on a schedule. I 1st introduced solids on 12-24 and he still has not decided to like food. I sit him in his highchair, bib and all two to three times a day. I have given him homemade food, jar food, and finger food. He has yet to eat a meal. There has been a couple of times that he has savored the flavor of a food. I am being very patient with this, because I know that once he does get the hang of it there will be no stopping him. It is in his genes to like food :). But..... Does anyone have any suggestions? I am open to any advice.  Oh and he is 6 days shy of 7 months.

Texastrixie

Asked by Texastrixie at 9:31 PM on Jan. 20, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• its best to let baby decied when he wants to start :) theres no nutrional need for solids till 12 for formula fed babies and 14 months for breastfed
    SimplyErathy

Answer by SimplyErathy at 9:35 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Just give it time. We started solids at 7 months, but she wasn't really interested until after 8 months.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:38 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• how old is he? He might not just be ready yet and thats his way of telling you. What my son really enjoyed was baby rice cereal that i mashed bananas into, you could try that. Mashed potatoes and mashed up cooked carrots too. No worries though, he will eat when he is ready, just make sure that he isnt loosing a ton of weight
    Bobbysgurl

Answer by Bobbysgurl at 9:39 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Keep in mind that solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know little about).Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many now recommend skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    Two great books /websites on feeding babies, with differing philosophies, Baby Led Weaning www.babyledweaning.com and Super Baby Food www.superbabyfood.com You should be able to find them at your local library

Answer by rkoloms at 9:53 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• If he's not interested, he's probably not ready. Take a break, and try again in a little bit. How old is baby?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:49 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Thank you all for your input. I guess that he is just taking his time and I am being very patient. It is good to hear that it is perfectly normal for him to be taking his time. I have tried many options: homemade applesauce, carrots, green beans, sweet potatoes, squash, bananas, melons, pears and mixing them with brown rice cereal. Since none of them worked I tried jars of carrots, sweet potatoes, applesauce, pears, green bean and sweet peas - I agree that they taste terrible, but I was trying everything. There was two foods that he actually savored (are you ready?) spinach and seaweed. Yep, he liked both of them. Now that is not saying that he will like them the next time I give them, but I was very proud of him. So, I am just going to ease up, stay patient, and keep trying different foods. Thanks again.
    Texastrixie

Comment by Texastrixie (original poster) at 11:20 PM on Jan. 21, 2011