Should I give him more motrin?

This is the 3rd day my 3 yr old has had a fever. I gave him some motrin and 10 min later he threw up. Should I give him some more motrin. His fever is 101. Before his fever it was 102.9 and right after he threw up it dropped. I know the motrin that I gave him didn't work that fast.

momluja

Asked by momluja at 9:42 PM on Jan. 20, 2011 in Health

• Have you taken him to the doctor? If you can not gwt his fever down by bath or motrin take him to the dr or e.r.
    sunsetbeach81

Answer by sunsetbeach81 at 9:44 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• No, you have no idea how much medicine he actually kept down...
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 9:45 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• take him to the dr tmrw. if he is wanting a drink, give water or a clean juice or gatorade. just keep an eye on him and the fever through the night. in 3 hours you could give him tylenol.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:45 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I know his fever will go down with motirn he has an appt tomorrow. What I am wondering is if he threw up the motrin I gave him and if I should give him more.
    momluja

Comment by momluja (original poster) at 9:45 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I honestly wouldn't- but I would advise you to call the advice nurse or doctor on call. I just feel like it's risky. JMO
    ceemuhreeashbee

Answer by ceemuhreeashbee at 9:49 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• for high fevers you can alternate motrin and tylenol every 2 hrs. i wouldn't give him any motrin right now, but in 2 hrs if he still has a high fever i would give him some tylenol.
    youngmami07

Answer by youngmami07 at 9:49 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I wouldn't risk it. Ibuprofen is only to be taken every 6-8 hours, and like said before, you just can't be sure how much got into his blood stream.
    SpaceToast

Answer by SpaceToast at 10:17 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• NO!  Sponge him down with tepid water, especially the forehead, back of the neck, chest and groin area.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 11:09 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• give tylenol-you can alternate tylenol and motrin ( I am a RN) Motrin will keep a fever down longer but Tylenol will take it down faster
    Say you gave the Motrin at 10pm (motrin is every 6 hours) You can give Tylenol at 12:00 Tylynol you can give every 4hours- read on bottle how much you can have in a day I believe motrin is three tikmes a day and it is always better to take motrin wioth food/Milk because it can cause GI up set Just make sure that there are no restrictions for tylenol (liver disease) Motrin (has bleeding, taking asprin)
    You may want to verify with pediatrician but I always do this with my sonhjave for yeas when he is real sick. It really helps him!
    Good Luck! Poor baby and mama
    21lisa72

Answer by 21lisa72 at 11:19 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I agree with the ladies who said to alternate motrin and tylenol every 2 hours, that'll help more with the fever...good advice for anyone with a fever.
    the_kimmers

Answer by the_kimmers at 1:36 AM on Jan. 21, 2011