Weird eating patterns??!!

My DS will be 3 in March and he is typically a great eater!! Today has been weird though. He just wants to snack all day. For breakfast all he wanted was a yogurt and milk. Then for lunch I gave him spaghetti and applesauce and he didn't want the spaghetti. Now he wants goldfish and pineapple and a fruit poptart. He LOVES any and all kinds of fruit, but sometimes that's all he wants. He's also really picky about meats and trying new things. He'll eat hamburger mixed in with rice but won't eat just a burger and he wont eat taco meat on a tortilla shell? If I try to get him to try something he just gags and nearly throws up. Sometimes I sneak it into his mouth and he'll gag and once he realizes it's good then he wants more. Any tips, advice??

XaviersMama311

Asked by XaviersMama311 at 9:46 PM on Jan. 20, 2011 in General Parenting

• Don't give him choices. Feed him 3 meals a day with a snack in between. Make him try stuff he doesn't want to try...sounds like you are doing pretty good....it just takes time. And don't be afraid to feed him. Sometimes kids eat better if you do.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 10:05 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I call this the air-o-tarian phase. They all go through it. First, make sure that he is drinking water, so he doesn't get dehydrated.
    Most important, do not create a monster who only eats nuggets, mac and cheese and hot dogs.
    Just keep offering a variety of healthy foods, and eventually he will start eating them again.
    Frozen foods are fun to play with, and will get eaten, like peas, blueberries and corn. Chunks of avocado and tofu are loaded with great nutrition, and are fun to squish between little fingers.
    I have never met a toddler who wouldn't eat hummus (lots of calcium, protein, good fats and iron), you can mix it with a mashed egg.
    Offer cut fruits with yogurt dip, fresh veggies with hummus or salad dressing, cooked whole wheat pasta and veggies with marinara or peanut sauce or cheese sauce.

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 6:25 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• We use the 3 bite rule. You must try 3 bites of what is on your plate; if you don't like it, you fix yourself peanut butter and honey on whole grain toast with a kiwi or apple. Even my husband is expected to follow the rule.
    If you cave now, you will forever have a picky monster on your hands. I promise that your child will not starve. Parents who cave are part of the reason why one half of American children are both undernourished and overweight. One third of children born in this century will develop type 2 diabetes.
    Keep offering a variety of healthy foods; stop buying junk foods until the picky phase has passed. Make sure that you are setting a great example by eating a variety of healthy foods.

And please, please, please stop feeding your child unhealthy foods like poptarts!!!!!

Answer by rkoloms at 6:26 AM on Jan. 21, 2011