What does an enlarged amniotic sac mean?

Someone I know recently found out she was pregnant, had an ultrasound and was contacted by the doctor afterward and told she had an enlarged amniotic sac (I'm not sure if they meant yolk sac or the sac around the baby?). She miscarried before and is freaking out now, especially since when we googled it that was the first thing that came up. Anyone else ever been diagnosed or dealt with someone who experienced this? How was the outcome? Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:08 PM on Jan. 20, 2011 in Trying to Conceive

• Didn't her doctor tell her what it meant? On her next appointment she needs to address her concerns.

An enlarged amniotic sac is another sonographic sign that predicts a failed pregnancy or embryonic death

mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 10:12 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• He told her not to worry but he wants her to come in next week for another ultrasound...I'm just trying to find out anything I can to help her feel better till then...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:23 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• It IS a sign of miscarriage but ultra sounds can be wrong. It's best for her to just remain calm and talk to the doctor next week.

I KNOW that's easier said then done. I just had a miscarriage 2 weeks ago so I know that she is absolutely panicing right now. :(

Give her lots of hugs and try to keep her relaxed until next week!
    Anonymous

• Sac around the baby. It can point to immanent miscarriage or diabetes or a bunch of other complications depending on how far along she is, if she carries to term she may need a C section, something to do with the excess water pushing the cord into the vagina before the baby, cuts blood flow to the baby, sometimes this resolves on its own, sometimes it must be treated or watched. Your friend should try to relax until dr appt bc getting her blood pressure up won't help at all.
    txgrl4lf

Answer by txgrl4lf at 12:54 PM on Jan. 21, 2011