Would you ever live with your parents??

So my parents have a small studio guest house/apartment. My DH & I usually rent but are interested in buying a cheap foreclosed home. My parents offered us the studio for free only paying them $100 for utilities/month.

If my DH & I moved in we could save about $30,000 towards a home & could pay off our $16,000 in debt in 15 months. I guess I just feel weird about moving back home? Would you do this?

CayShek

Asked by CayShek at 10:18 PM on Jan. 20, 2011 in Relationships

• I would not, but my relationship with my mother is based on space. Now that I don't even live in the same town as her, it is sooo much better.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:20 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Depends on how well you get a long with your parents. If you have a good relationship I say go for it.
    Now if they were my parents I would rather kill myself before I move back with them.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 10:20 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Sure why not. We're actually living with my husband's parents while we continue saving up for a house and although it has it's downsides, it's not all that bad either. I just figure it's not a permanent, living situation and we all have to make sacrifices to get ahead in life.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 10:22 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I would, but I guess your decision depends on your relationship with your parents. If you think you can stay there drama free I would definitely give it a try.

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 10:22 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• We all get along great & are on very different time schedules so we would rarely be home at the same time. Thanks for the input!
    CayShek

Comment by CayShek (original poster) at 10:22 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I wouldn't go back to my moms unless absolutely necessary. Like emergency, risk of homelessness, or I need to take care of her for a long time. Other than that I wouldn't. My personal reasons would be I like a certain amount of space and a studio would not cut it, 2nd, I moved out once and like I said I don't want to go back unless I have to, besides visiting.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 10:22 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• In your situation, I would. I mean, it sounds like you won't be actually living with them, but in a guest house, so you'll still have your privacy and space. Plus, look at the debt you'd be quickly paying off.
    Then again, it all depends on how your relationship is with your folks.
    SpaceToast

Answer by SpaceToast at 10:23 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I have had to move back with my parents and it's not easy. At first it seems like a good idea till you move in and been living with one another for awhile. I guess it all depends on how well you get along.

sheer_heart

Answer by sheer_heart at 10:24 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• With my parents, yes.

With dh's parents? Not for a million a week.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 10:35 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I had to for a short time. It's incentive to save and get out!

Answer by admckenzie at 10:38 PM on Jan. 20, 2011