From crib to toddler bed?

My son is 2 (or, 28 months) and loves his crib. When should I transition him to a toddler bed? We aren't ready for REAL potty training quite yet, so I'd like him to get able to "get up to go" when that time comes without too many changes all at once. Suggestions? His crib is a convertible one.

mevxoxo

Asked by mevxoxo at 10:19 PM on Jan. 20, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My understanding is if they can climb out of the crib, they are ready for a toddler bed. You go from wondering about if they'll get out of bed to checking doors or gates to make sure when you sleep the toddler will be okay...so its if the toddler can climb out and if you're ready for the child to have so much freedom for naps and bedtime. G'luck to you.
    Imortlmommy

Answer by Imortlmommy at 10:24 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• night time training usually comes a little while after they are potty trained in the day time...if he is happy in his crib I would let him stay there until you are ready for night training. My daughter didnt move to a toddler bed until a little over 3 because she was content in the crib and there was no need to move her until I had to. We moved my son too early and it was so stressful on all of us because he didnt want to stay in his bed...we didnt have those same problems with my daughter.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 10:30 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• We moved my son just before he turned 3 to a toddler bed but it was cause we needed the crib for his brother. We had transitioned his crib to a toddler bed before that when he was starting to want to climb out on his own. When we moved to the official toddler bed though we made a huge deal about it; bought new bedding and themed storage to match. He transitioned well.
    jdelain79

Answer by jdelain79 at 11:26 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• my son is 3 now but he wanted out of his crib at 18 months so thats when we moved him but i have a friend whose son is 3 he just turned 3 but she still has him in a crib because he loves it. I say as long as he likes it and doesnt climb out keep him in there until he starts trying to climb out.
    proudmama930

Answer by proudmama930 at 2:21 AM on Jan. 21, 2011