Question for atheists and agnostics: Do you fear death?

I mean you no offense by that question. I just wonder how you feel about death since you do not believe in the afterlife.

4boysmom32

Asked by 4boysmom32 at 5:42 PM on Nov. 13, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm a borderline agnostic, but I still practice some forms of christianity. I dunno, it's confusing right now.

But yeah, I'm kind of afraid of death. We really DON'T know what will happen, do we? Nobody has ever come back from the dead to say "This is what happens to you when you die." So there's no surefire 100% way to tell what will happen.

What if everything I've been told is true isn't? What if one religion had it all wrong and some other random religion got it right? What if *gasp* nobody is right? What if we ALL had it wrong?

I just don't like uncertainty. And please...nobody try to preach to me about what you believe in. I don't want to hear it, thanks.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 5:45 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Yes and no. I'm not sure what I am, I believe in God but in what capacity, I don't really know. I'm a little afraid of death because everybody on earth is a little afraid of death. I'm not done living yet. But I don't really believe in Hell, so I'm not afraid of what happens after death. I'm just not done living yet.
    Anonymous

• I am Agnostic. I certainly don't look forward to dying, but I don't worry about dying. I am not really afraid of it, just not ready yet.

I had a cancer scare earlier this year... I wasn't upset for *me* at the thought of dying. It isn't the person that dies that hurts -- its the people that love them and are left behind. I was upset for my husband and kids, upset at the idea of him having to do it alone... my kids not having their Mom. I was oddly calm about the idea of dying when it came down to me. I just felt bad that I would be letting my family down, because they count on me being there.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 6:09 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I'm not afraid of what will happen to me after I die. I more afraid of pain and not being in control of my body more than anything.
    ambie1983

Answer by ambie1983 at 6:15 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• No. As it has been put so wisely by Epicurus
    "If I am, death is not. If death, is I am not. Why should I fear that which cannot exist when I do?"
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 6:22 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• as a friend of mine once said. "I would rather take the chance and believe and find out I'm wrong..than the other way around."
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 6:24 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Kristi - what a great quote!

I do not fear death. I think Kristi's quote put it perfectly.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 6:24 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Death is merely a part of life. I certainly don't want to die young but I am not afraid of death.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 6:24 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• So very well put Kristi...that makes sence to me.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 6:27 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Though I wouldn't say that I fear death, at this point I don't want to die- I want to see what happens next! I think the thing that upsets me the most is the idea of not seeing my kids grow up. I hope to live to see these things and continue to work on my spiritual path so that hopefully by the time I die I will not have those regrets and can go peacefully.
    I am far more afraid of my kids dying than of my own death... we recently had a scare while my youngest was screened for retinoblastoma (a form of childhood cancer of the eye.) Fortunately it was just a scare but I was worried to the point of not being able to function, whereas when I went through a serious scare for myself a few years ago I was scared but not a total basket case.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 6:36 PM on Nov. 13, 2008