Made from scratch or store bought meals???

I'm home 5 out of 7 nights a week and my SO works 2nd shift so It's always just him and I for dinner. I love making dinner but I feel like its a waste because my DS usually wont eat it and I end up throwing it away or it goes bad in the fridge. So a lot of the time I resort to Gerber dinners or other microwave balanced meals. What about everyone else????

XaviersMama311

Asked by XaviersMama311 at 10:51 PM on Jan. 20, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I didn't like feeding our boys ready made dinners, they are, or were loaded with sodium. I didn't feel that was good for them. I just made sure I didn't make a huge meal. A veg, a protein, and a fruit. It doesn't have to be anything fancy to a little one, just well balanced and not loaded with preservatives, and sodium.. I still cook like that and they are all older now. They love onions, bell peppers, garlic, you name it, they eat it, and I think it comes from introducing all of the good and natural flavors to them early on. JMO...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:58 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• My son will eat anything, so I have made all of his meals from the beginning. I enjoy cooking, so it wasn't that big of a deal to prepare meals for him and freeze portions. Now he insists on eating whatever we're eating, so it's simply a matter of cutting up whatever we're having, from burgers to ahi tuna to zucchini to strawberries. In fact, I attribute his lack of a sugar tooth to the meals that we prepared for him. He prefers green beans to donuts-- actually tossed the doughnuts off the table-- and went back to eating his beans!
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 11:05 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• We do a little bit of both homemade and ready made.  It depends on our mood and what's going on that day.  Um yeah, my kids all eat pretty healthy food so if they ask for icecream for breakfast I let them have it.  I think balance works very well in our house.  Eat your veggies, eat your fruits, eat what I put on your plate and in return I give you foods that you want when you want it.  That's kinda my motto, lol.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 11:10 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I like your motto MrsHouston.
    We do both home and ready too. It depends on the day and what not. Normaly if I do a ready made for lunch I cook a dinner.
    red_head_mommy2

Answer by red_head_mommy2 at 12:00 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I cook from scratch, and have since before my daughter was born; baby food was mashed up "whatever we were eating". When she was younger, I worked 50-60 hours a week.

We use the 3 bite rule. You must try 3 bites of what is on your plate; if you don't like it, you fix yourself peanut butter and honey on whole grain toast with a kiwi or apple. Even my husband is expected to follow the rule.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:36 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I work 3 nights a week so on those nights, my husband gives our son a ready-made meal. When I am home, I cook for all of us.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 10:20 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I never bought any of those gerber "meals", the were overpriced and loaded with sodium. If there are things your kiddo likes, make a whole meal, then freeze it in portions that are kid-sized and freeze them - then you just have to pop one in the microwave to thaw & he can eat, and you can do the same thing for yourself too if you like meals your child doesn't.
    Anonymous

• I have always made meals from scratch. It is healthier. I never bought baby food because I made my own.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 3:09 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• i do mostly made from scratch
    SimplyErathy

Answer by SimplyErathy at 6:24 PM on Jan. 21, 2011